Fish are cold-blooded creatures, their body temperature is determined by the temperature indicators of the surrounding space. The activity and vitality of the fish depends on the comfort of the water. When lowering or exceeding the permissible degree, the likelihood of the appearance of diseases in pets increases, but sharp temperature fluctuations are even more dangerous. There are different methods for normalizing the temperature of the water in an aquarium for fish.
Saying what temperature should be aquarium water, take into account the species affiliation of the pets. For example, the warm-water tropical species Siamese cockerel needs quality water, heated to 26 - 28 ° C. Cold-water species are less demanding on habitat conditions. Neons in cool water (20 - 22 ° C) increase their lifespan. This must be taken into account when forming a group of inhabitants of a common aquarium.
A universal indicator suitable for all aquarium species - 25 ° C. This temperature can be set in a home aquarium with many different species, and there will be no mistake.
Temperature table for each type of fish
The correct temperature regime in the aquarium is one of the most significant factors ensuring a long and comfortable life of the fish. For owners involved in the arrangement of the tank, a table is given that indicates the preferred water parameters for the most common types of aquarium inhabitants.
average temperature range, ° C
maximum and minimum permissible temperature, ° C
24 - 27 (the higher the temperature, the faster individuals grow and breed better, but life expectancy is reduced)
23 - 26 (in cool water, the fish becomes larger, but loses immunity)
17 - 29 (with extreme parameters, the life span of individuals becomes shorter)
20 - 30 (for a long time the fish do not live at the limit parameters)
parrots and other cichlids
24 - 30 (the higher the temperature, the richer the color)
adults up to 6 hours are able to tolerate the maximum increase and decrease in temperature
catfish (pterygoplychitis, agamixis, bunocephalus, synodontis)
Temperature Control Methods
Having found out what temperature is comfortable for the species of fish living in the aquarium, it remains to control it. As controls, different devices are used:
- Glass coated thermometer. It gives accurate indicators, easy to use, inexpensive. The only negative - if the device breaks, toxic mercury will fall into the water, and the fish will be poisoned.
- Adhesive indicator strip. Easy to use, just sticks to the surface of the tank. Minus - insufficient accuracy of indicators.
- Alcohol-filled thermometer. Convenient and inexpensive option. But gradually, the reliability of the indicators decreases.
- Electronic thermometer. It gives the most accurate indicators. But is expensive.
How to increase the temperature in the aquarium
The water temperature may drop for various reasons, even after airing the room. The owner may not understand why his pets suddenly worsened.
Ways to raise the temperature:
- Buy an aquarium water heater, turn it on, bring the water to the optimum state.
- Pour a small amount of boiled water into the tank (not more than 10% of the volume). The pouring should be gradual so that the water warms up to 2 ° C every 20 minutes. It is necessary to act carefully, making sure that boiling water does not get on the floating fish.
- Dip a plastic bottle filled with hot water into the aquarium. She will swim on the surface of the water, sharing heat with the surrounding space.
- If the fish feel unwell, add vodka to the aquarium (1 tablespoon of alcohol per 100 liters). After this treatment method, flushing the reservoir will be required.
How to lower the temperature in the aquarium
Water temperature may rise in winter with intensive work of radiators in the room, in summer with bright sunlight, if the apartment is on the south side. You also need to check if the sensor is working properly on the aquarium heater. The owner should not allow the temperature of the water to rise above 30 ° C, otherwise the fish will cook, and the aquarium will literally turn into a container with an ear.
It should be noted that fish tolerate overheating worse than hypothermia. A combination of high temperature and excess of the norm of nitrates in water has a particularly negative effect on the body of pets.
Ways to lower your temperature and save pets:
- Pour cold water into the aquarium. It is correct to do this in small portions so that the cooling is gradual.
- Lower the bottle of water from the refrigerator into the tank.
- Leave the compressor on until the temperature drops to normal.
- If, in addition to cooling, urgent cleaning is required, then hydrogen peroxide (1 tablespoon per 100 l) is added to the water.
What to do with temperature changes?
From sharp temperature fluctuations, fish are most often affected when transported from the pet store to a new home. Usually, the owners transport the purchased pets in a small jar or package. In summer, fish can dry out due to heat and stuffiness, in winter due to a sharp cold outside the store.
To prevent illness and death of pets from temperature extremes, it is recommended to transport them in a thermos. If there is no large thermos at hand, then the purchase should be made in a pet store close to the house so that the trip of the fish does not take much time.
Beginning aquarists should not only find out the preferred temperature for each type of fish, but also purchase equipment for heating and cooling in order to act quickly in an emergency. In adverse temperature conditions, fish are stressed, fall ill, live a little, and in favorable conditions they delight with beauty for a long time.
For the life of the inhabitants of terrariums and aquariums, it is important to maintain a given temperature and humidity. The terrarium departments of modern pet stores have a wide range of instruments for measuring and automatically controlling temperature and humidity in all types of terrariums and aquariums.
When choosing equipment, one must not forget that mercury thermometers are strictly prohibited: animals can die if such a device is damaged. Thermometers and hygrometers of any modification should be attached to the walls of aquariums and terrariums so that neither turtles nor fish can notice and damage them.
Terrarium thermometers measure air temperature, they need to be placed in two zones: the so-called basking zone - that is, directly under the heating lamp, and in the cold zone where the animal shelter is located. Two thermometers are also needed for the aquaterrarium: one will measure the air temperature above the land area, the second - the water temperature.
The importance of the indicator for plants and other inhabitants
Fish are creatures with cold blood, therefore, their body temperature will completely depend on the temperature of the water in the aquarium.
When the optimum temperature level is maintained in the tank, the fish feel comfortable, do not get sick, the course of metabolic processes in their body is not disturbed. With too cold water, internal processes begin to slow down (some species may even “hibernate”), their immunity weakens, the fish become inactive and prone to any infection.
With a sufficiently high thermometer, the metabolic processes are extremely accelerated, the fish become restless, begin to experience a lack of oxygen, which is fraught with their death.
But the temperature changes are most detrimental to the inhabitants of the aquarium: a difference of 3-4 degrees can put the fish in a state of shock and, most likely, cause its death.
Before starting the aquarium, the owner needs to carefully study the features of the maintenance of each type of fish whose presence in the tank is planned: the fish will feel good and will live the due time only if they are created with comfortable conditions.
Most often, heat-loving exotic fish from tropical and subtropical regions become the inhabitants of aquariums, where the temperature of the water in the water bodies during the year ranges from + 24C - + 30C.
Fishes, native to South America, Asia, Africa, will feel comfortable precisely at such indicators of a thermometer. A cold-water fishes of northern latitudes prefer + 21C. It is better to populate fish with similar temperature preferences in one tank. But if this is impossible, then the optimum temperature suitable for all types is considered to be + 24C - + 26C.
Each fish species has its own upper and lower threshold for the maximum permissible temperature, beyond which threatens their death.
Table of minimum, maximum and optimum temperatures
How many degrees should the temperature in the aquarium be? Consider the table:
|Name of fish||Optimum temperature||Minimum temperature||Maximum temperature|
|Guppy||+ 23C - + 27C||+ 18C||+ 30C|
|Neons||+ 20C - + 22C||+ 18C||+ 28C|
|Angelfish||+ 22C - + 26C||+ 18C||+ 28C - + 30C|
|Cockerels||+ 26C - + 30C||+ 18C||+ 36C|
|Discus||+ 29C - + 32C||+ 28C and below||+ 34C - + 35C|
|Barbs||+ 23C - + 25C||+ 21C - + 22C||+ 27C - + 29C|
|Swordsmen||+ 20C - + 26C||+ 10C - + 12C||+ 26C - + 27C|
|Goldfish||+ 18C - + 23C||+ 15C||+ 25C - + 27C|
|Cichlids||+ 25C - + 27C||+ 23C||+ 30C|
|Brochises||+ 22C - + 26C||+ 18C||+ 30C|
Are the values different for a saltwater aquarium?
The temperature for marine aquariums does not differ from the temperature in freshwater aquariums: it should be in the range + 24C - + 26C. Sudden changes in temperature also cause stress in the fish and can serve as an impetus for the development of diseases or cause death.
Since the life of living organisms depends on the temperature of the water in the aquarium, its measurement must be approached responsibly. Methods loved by the people, elbow or finger, absolutely will not work, and temperature measurement should be entrusted only to professional devices.
This is a device whose main purpose is to heat water to the required level, as well as to maintain it within the established limits.
In some models, there is also a temperature indicator that works even when the water heater is off.
Experienced aquarists use only a special thermometer to measure water temperature, which can be purchased at any pet store.
There are many different types of aquarium thermometers.
The most accurate is an electronic immersion or an external electronic thermometer with an immersion sensor, the most popular is a glass thermometer, outwardly attractive - a thermometer - strip.
All thermometers can be divided into certain groups:
- Mercury thermometers (accurate, but their breakdown can lead to the death of all life in the tank).
- Liquid crystal (they are a strip with a printed scale that sticks to the outside of the aquarium, not accurate, but whimsical).
- Electronic (accurate, but quite expensive).
- Alcohol (not as accurate as electronic, but better than liquid crystal ones. They tend to wear out quickly and, therefore, lose accuracy).
Typically, thermometers are mounted in the middle layers of water on the opposite wall from the heater.
How to keep the rate normal?
The ideal option is to equip the aquarium with a water heater with automatic switching on for heating and automatic switching off when the set threshold is reached. As already mentioned above, this device is able not only to bring the water temperature to the optimum value, but also to keep it at this level.
How to raise a degree?
- Find out the cause of the temperature drop: close the open window, replace the broken water heater.
- If it is not possible to replace the heater, a plastic bottle filled with warm water can be lowered into the aquarium.
- Alternatively: move the container closer to a heat source, such as a battery. Or lean a heating pad with warm water on the side of the tank.
- You can immerse the external filter in a vessel with warm, but not hot water.
- An emergency measure to “revitalize” frozen fish is to add cognac or vodka to the water (30 ml per 100 l). in a day, turbidity of the water is possible, which can be prevented by replacing a third of the water or by filtering it through activated carbon.
How to lower in the summer and at other times of the year?
- Determine the reasons for the temperature increase (for example, the location of the battery), eliminate them.
- Dip a plastic bottle with cool water into the container (a decrease of 2 degrees is possible in the first 10 minutes, minus two degrees in the next 20 minutes).
- To increase aeration in the aquarium: the compressor should work until it is possible to lower the temperature indicators.
- To enrich water with oxygen, it is necessary to stir it by hand or pour 3% hydrogen peroxide (20 - 25 ml per 100 liters).