|The sizes of adults are:|
How much does a kitten cost:
- Show class: from 40 thousand rubles.
- Bridging class: 25-40 thousand rubles.
- Pet class: from 15 thousand rubles.
- Without documents: up to 12 thousand rubles.
How many live: 14-15 years. If properly maintained, they can live 20 years or more.
|There are glands that produce a smelling secret. If the smell becomes intrusive, you can pour warm water (about 5 cm) into the bathroom or basin, and put the cat there (for a short time). Then she will begin to lick her wet paws, and for some time the smell will disappear. Subsequently, the procedure can be repeated.|
- people oriented
- They like to be in the company of people and behave as decently as possible,
- smart, emotional
- do not show aggression,
- easy to train
- unpretentious in everyday life,
- almost do not fade,
- differ in good health.
- must be kept warm
- do not tolerate loneliness,
- are prone to obesity, so you need to control the diet,
- it smells bad from the legs of animals
- excessive activity, obsession can be a disadvantage for people who prefer a calm, measured life.
Popular colors of cats Cornish Rex
- White. Pink nose pads. The eyes are blue or golden.
- The black. The color is dark, dense. The eyes are golden.
- Blue color, no shades. The nose is blue.
- Red (without marks and stripes). The eyes are golden. Brick spout, paw pads.
- Calico. White with pastel spots of red or dark shade. Eyes can be blue, golden, two-tone.
- Cream (no picture). It is better if the shade is light. The eyes are golden. Spout, paw pads pink.
Character, features of behavior
The nature of Rex Cornish is soft, flexible. These are sophisticated intellectuals who are distinguished by emotionality. A vigorously wagging tail is evidence of increased susceptibility.
Representatives of the breed have natural cheerfulness, curiosity, are very active. They like to be in motion all the time, to climb, to jump. Playfulness is maintained even by adults. Nevertheless, the behavior can be considered correct: the roots are delicate, patient, unforgettable, they will not harm. Due to their increased sensitivity to the mood of a person, they always know how to behave in a particular situation.
On the legs there are membranes between the fingers. Cats love water, can swim in bathrooms, natural reservoirs.
Relation to the owner, children, strangers
The behavior is somewhat similar to dogs: in the family they choose one owner, to whom they experience unlimited devotion. However, they show love and affection to other household members, as they are very friendly and sociable. They love attention to their person, if you talk to a cat, it will look into your eyes, and like a dog, wag its tail. They do not tolerate neglect, neglect, rudeness.
They do not like excessive familiarity from unfamiliar people. They are distrustful of strangers, but may be curious. Children are good-natured, representatives of the breed are non-aggressive. Rex can be an ideal companion for games, if you explain to your child the rules for handling a cat.
Health, addiction to diseases
Cats of Corinth Rex breed are in good health, a possible reason for good immunity is a slightly elevated temperature (38.5-39 ° C). No genetic problems (breed diseases) were found. Most commonly found in Rex:
- skin diseases (dermatitis),
- colds of the respiratory tract
- gastrointestinal tract disorders
- cystitis (inflammation of the bladder).
Animals tend to overeat, which can cause obesity. Cornish Rex is very sensitive to drugs for anesthesia, therefore, unlike cats of other breeds, they get out of anesthesia longer. An overdose of sedatives used before surgery can cause complications: deafness, neurological disorders, damage to brain cells, death.
It is recommended to have a kit for your cat. Need to buy:
- cotton wool
- cotton buds,
- elastic bandage,
- hydrogen peroxide,
- Activated carbon,
- liquid paraffin (petroleum jelly),
- blunt-tip scissors
- eye dropper
- rectal thermometer
- syringes, including insulin
- boric acid powder
- streptocide powder.
Start when the kitten is 8 weeks old. First you need to rid the animal of fleas, ticks, then deworm. The remedy for parasites is given in 10-12 days. before vaccination. First, they are vaccinated against panleukopenia, calicivirus and rhinotracheitis. Revaccination is necessary after 2-4 weeks., Then - 1 p. / Year.
Starting from the age of 12 weeks, they are vaccinated against rabies (once), revaccination - annually.
After 2-3 weeks. a kitten is vaccinated against fungal diseases. 2 injections are needed, with an interval of 10-14 days. Revaccination is every year.
After vaccination, the quarantine should last 10 days, during which it is important to protect the baby from:
- strong physical exertion,
- long transportation
- contacts with other pets,
- suspected sources of infection (e.g. street shoes).
Special conditions are not required to be created, but it must be borne in mind that animals are sensitive to drafts and temperature extremes. The house should be warm and dry. The place for rest should be a cozy isolated corner. A house will come, a warm stove bench.
It is better to buy bowls ceramic, they are environmentally friendly, wash very easily. The food area should be located away from the filler tray and the kitchen table.
Cornish Rex loves to play with balls, feather toys, ropes, mice, especially soaked with catnip. They will not refuse from "intellectual" cat toys.
Cornish Rex can perfectly entertain itself while at home, so walking is not particularly needed. There is no need to let one pet go outside: firstly, short hair does not protect him from the cold, and secondly, he is threatened by an attack from relatives or dogs. Cornish are non-aggressive, so they can’t stand up for themselves. The animal should be walked only on the harness. In the cold season, the pet needs clothes.
Place the cat tray in an accessible, fairly secluded place (bathroom, toilet). The door to the room will have to be kept open, as an option, you can make a hole. Some cats like to relieve themselves at the front door, you can go towards them and put the tray there. A closed toilet model prevents the spread of filler. It is strictly forbidden to put the tray near the places of rest, eating.
- remove solid waste 1-2 p. / day,
- if the filler is absorbent, remove liquid waste 1-2 p. / day, the filler must be completely replaced,
- if the filler is clumping, remove liquid waste 2 r. / day, replacing part of the filler,
- liquid waste in trays with silica gel filler is enough to remove 1 p. in 5-7 days.,
- if the tray is without filler, remove waste 3-4 p. / day, while the container must be washed.
Toilets with fillers are washed no more than 1 r / week. and at least 1 p. / month. You can not use chemical detergents, it is better to make a solution of baking soda in warm water. The cat's toilet is washed with a special sponge, gloves are put on hands.
Provides combing - no more than 2 times a week. Use a natural bristle brush. Collect hairs with wet hands or rubber gloves. Then apply a protein conditioner (to improve the structure of the coat, to give shine). The tool can be replaced with a weak solution of citric acid. When the coat dries, wipe it with a piece of silk cloth or suede.
Rex is clean, so the need for bathing usually does not arise. The procedure can be replaced by wiping with a damp cloth. If the animal is very dirty, wash it in warm water using a special shampoo. 3 hours before the procedure, the pet should not be fed.
- To prevent water from entering, place cotton balls in your ears.
- Holding the cat by the scruff, sponge the hair with a sponge (avoiding the head area).
- Rub the shampoo until a foam forms.
- Rinse the coat thoroughly with warm water, while the water should not get into the ears, eyes, cat’s nose.
- Squeeze the wool, wrap the kitty in a towel.
- Wipe the face with a sponge dipped in water.
The peculiarity of the roots is the small size of the pads, so the cat is not able to fully retract the claws. However, representatives of the breed can independently monitor the claws, gnawing off the excess. The owner is left to inspect them from time to time, if necessary, you can use a clipper, a file.
Cleaning - once a week or as it gets dirty. Wipe your ears with a cotton swab, additionally wrapping cotton on it. This will prevent possible skin injury. Soak a cotton swab in liquid paraffin or a special solution. Remove any dirt in the visible parts of the ears without getting inside. To prevent the appearance of ticks, you can use antiseptic powder.
The choice of a kitten, care, maintenance, education
It is better to purchase a kitten in a nursery, where documents are provided confirming the cleanliness of the animal. The fact is that the hair at the corns usually begins to curl in 3-4 months. Buying an animal from random people, you can subsequently discover that it was not bought at all.
Before buying, read the pedigree of the parents, try to examine the cat-mother, and preferably the cat. It is recommended that you first study the description of the Cornish Rex breed. The purchase of a pet from professionals is accompanied by the following documents:
- contract of sale,
- veterinary passport
- metric or pedigree.
The nurseries also provide brief instructions on keeping and feeding.
The pedigree can be issued independently based on the metric. This is done at the club indicated by the breeder. It is important to get a pedigree before the pet turns one year old. Animals without documents are not allowed before breeding.
The adaptation period of a kitten in a new place can last 2-7 days. A baby can “cry” when she misses her cat mom. It is important to pay him a lot of attention, often pick up. So that he does not freeze at night, put a heating pad in his house. The recreation area can be moved depending on heat sources, solar lighting.
Kittens like to climb higher, however, make sure that the baby does not climb to a great height (cabinet, refrigerator). The bones of the breed are very fragile, which significantly increases the risk of fractures. It is recommended to arrange several horizontal platforms where the kitten could climb. You can buy a "tree for cats", which will also serve as a scratching post.
Cornish Rex lends itself well to education based on delicate and respectful treatment. In no case can not yell at the kitten or beat him. It is enough to indicate to him several times that he has crossed the limits of what is permitted. For example, if the baby jumped onto the table, you need to clap your hands loudly and strictly say: "You can’t!"
A grown up kitten should:
- Be able to use the tray
- sharpen claws in a designated place,
- do not climb tables, cabinets,
- do not spoil the furniture, wallpaper,
- calmly transfer care procedures.
As a rule, accustoming Cornish Rex to the toilet is not difficult. Usually a two-month-old kitten already knows how to use the tray. Check with the breeder the brand of filler, so the baby will be able to quickly navigate to a new place. At first, you need to carefully monitor the kitten. As soon as he begins to show signs of anxiety, put him in the tray. When the kitten does its work, caress it.
If the baby is disfigured, do not scold and in any case do not poke his nose. Remove stool, wipe this place with vinegar. You can use a special odor neutralizer.
A pet can be taught to perform simple commands (“paw”, “bring”, etc.) by repeated repetition. You need to start by learning 1 team. When the kitten has mastered it, proceed to the next study. Encourage proper actions with a treat, this helps to strengthen the reflex. It is impossible to put pressure on the animal, classes should bring pleasure to both the cat and the owner.
Avoid games that develop aggression, unwanted skills are fixed very quickly. You can not play with the kitten with your hands. If the baby begins to bite, scare him with a sharp sound (for example, clapping). Another way to wean aggression is to ignore. Stop all games, go to another room.
Cornish Rex should look slim, so you should not allow fat folds to appear on the body of the pet. However, the caloric content of the daily diet should compensate for the energy needs of the body, because the animals are very active, move a lot. In addition, cats with short hair need more energy to heat the body.
The amount of servings determined empirically. Do not limit your pet too much in food. If the cat is clearly not eating up and looks too thin, increase the amount of feed.
If you choose to feed ready balanced diets, you must purchase both dry and wet canned food. The fact is that Rex is distinguished by a sensitive digestive system. The amount of "drying" should not exceed 1/6 of the total diet. Water in a bowl is recommended to be changed twice a day.
The composition of the diet: 80% - meat, 20% - vegetables, cereals, dairy products. The food should be fresh, warm. The better to feed Rex Cornish:
- Beef thawed, raw, daily.
- Boiled bird (remove bones), daily.
- By-products (liver, stomachs, heart, lungs) boiled, 1 p. in weeks
- Boiled fish, 1 p. in weeks (but it’s better not to feed at all).
- Yolk, boiled or raw, 1-2 p. / Week. Can be pre-mixed with cottage cheese. Instead of chicken, quail eggs (raw, along with protein) are allowed.
- Cream, sour-milk drinks (kefir, bio-yogurt), daily. Cheese is like a treat.
- Cottage cheese mixed with raw yolk or sour cream, 1-2 p. / Week.
- Cereals: Hercules, rice, buckwheat. Mix porridge with meat in a ratio of 1: 2. Feed several times a week.
- Vegetables, raw, boiled (zucchini, carrots, pumpkin, tomatoes, cauliflower). Mix with meat in a ratio of 1: 2 and give several times a week, alternating with cereals.
- Additionally: sprouts of grains (oats, wheat), brewer's yeast, vitamin top dressing.
Some nuances of feeding kittens
- Kittens up to 3 months. boil milk porridge.
- Up to 6 months milk is allowed.
- Cottage cheese is fed 3-4 p. / Week.
- Pre-thawed beef is cut into slices, scalded with boiling water and some milk is added. This serves to prevent constipation.
- Kittens are given 30 grams of beef per day, by the age of 8 months. the amount is gradually increased to 120 g.
- Up to 3.5 months only chicken breasts are fed, then you can give chicken legs.
- Chicken can be cooked, and on the broth cook oatmeal and add chopped meat.
- Cooked meat is also mixed with vegetables.
- You can cook soups.
- You can not give only meat or only cereal.
- It is better not to feed fish.
- If the kitten has light hair, he cannot have too much liver: the coat may become yellowish.
- Prohibit your pet from eating directly from the floor.
Frequency of feeding per day:
- age 1.5-2 months. - Five times,
- 3-5 months- 4 times,
- 6-7 months - 3 times,
- from 8 months - 2 times.
Fresh water should always be in the bowl. It should be borne in mind that changes in its composition are often the cause of digestive disorders. If you need to leave for a few days with your cat, you need to take drinking water for her.
WCF breed standard
|Head||It has a wedge-shaped shape. The profile is straight, long. The chin makes a vertical line with the tip of the nose.|
|Eyes||They have an almond shape. Delivered slightly askew.|
|The ears||Very big. The base is wide, the tips are pointed.|
|Housing||Medium in size, muscular, slender body.|
|Tail||Very long, tapering from base to tip.|
|Wool||Rigid integumentary hair is absent. To the touch velvety, soft. Wavy, short. Eyebrows, mustache are short, convoluted.|
|Colors||Any, including point.|
|disadvantages||Bare areas of the body (bald patches).|
Country of Origin: England. The history of Cornish Rex began in 1950 when a cat appeared in Cornwall yellowish-white in color with an unusual wavy fur. The animal showed genetics Jad A.S., which revealed the presence of the mutant gene Rex. Subsequently, the cat was knitted with his mother of tortoise color, kittens with wavy fur appeared in the litters. The breed was called "Cornish Rex", the word "Cornish" indicates the place of origin (Cornwall), and the word "Rex" refers to the wavy gene.
Since the livestock of these animals was very small, they were bred with American, Siamese, Havana cats. However, today mating with other breeds is not permitted in order to preserve the distinguishing features. Cornish received official recognition in 1967. In 1983, 3 main branches were identified - Cornish, Devon, German, and changes were made to the standards.
In Russia, the breed first appeared in 1989, animals were brought to the exhibition FPC "Sirius" from Sweden and Finland. A year later, the country created the first nursery called "Santa Berger". Every year the number of Cornish Rex cats in Russia is growing more and more, and the number of fans of the breed is growing.
History of breed origin
The first Cornish Rex appeared in 1950 on a simple rabbit farm in England, when a cat named Serena brought into the world a strange kitten with curly hair. Miss Anismore, the owner of the farm, interested in an unusual baby, decided to take on the selection of a new breed.
The kitten was called Kallibunker. For a long time, all attempts to get similar offspring from him were unsuccessful. All kittens born were smooth-haired, without a hint of curls. Then Kallibunker was crossed with Serena, and the selection finally bore fruit. It turned out that the gene that caused this feature is recessive, and it is very difficult to fix it.
Seven years later, curly kittens were brought to the United States, where large-scale work on the breed began. To obtain an expressive elongated muzzle, the first corns were crossed with oriental, Thai and Siamese cats. As a result of this, two types of breed were distinguished: European and American. Unlike the European type, the American has a hump on the nose, moreover, it is more elongated and elegant.
The breed is currently classified:
- FIFe - III - Shorthair and Somali - CRX standard,
- WCF - 3 - Shorthair - CRX standard.
Differences of Cornish Rex from Devon and Selkirk Rex
If you delve into the topic, you can find a dozen different rex. The most famous of them are Devon, Selkirk and, of course, Cornish Rex. Selkirk-Rex is difficult to confuse with someone, but Cornish and Devon were considered a single breed until the age of 60, but the facts in their description forced the breeders to change their mind.
|Cornish Rex||Devon rex||Selkirk Rex|
|The coat is wavy, short, has no integument.||The coat is wavy, short, however, the curls on it are larger.||The coat is wavy, long.|
|Nose with a small hump.||The nose is snub-nosed, slightly bent up.||Pronounced stop on the muzzle.|
|The head is wedge-shaped, the shape of the head is smooth.||The head is wedge-shaped, with pronounced pointed cheekbones.||The head is round with a wide forehead, a powerful chin.|
|The body is slightly elongated, small, graceful. Long slender legs.||The body is more massive, the legs are powerful.||The body is powerful, large, resembling a rectangle.|
On the left side Devon Rex, on the right - Cornish Rex, below - Selkirk Rex
- Body: small, elongated, with developed muscles. The back is arched to form an arc. The weight of the cat reaches 3.5 kg, cat - 4 kg.
- Limbs: long and thin, legs are small, oval in shape. The tail is also long and thin, flexible.
- Head: wedge-shaped, with pronounced contours and rounded cheekbones. The forehead is flat, the nose with a hump, the profile is slightly elongated, full cheeks.
- Wool: short, soft and curly, curls are small, which is a feature of the Cornish. There is no outer cover. Color varies, the most common are white, black, gray and red seals.
- Eyes: almond-shaped, elongated to the edges. The color corresponds to the color. Color point cats only have blue eyes.
- Ears: large, high set, taper and sharpen to the tips.
Important! Although the wool on Cornish Rex is almost invisible, its complete or partial absence (bald spots) is a marriage.
The health of these cats is not strong. These cats are subject to a number of difficult diseases.
- Hypoglycemia. It is a developmental pathology, expressed in a lack of glucose in the blood.
- Progressive retinal atrophy. It is also a pathology. Under this term, several symptoms are immediately hidden, which inevitably lead to blindness of the kitten.
- Hypotrichosis. Congenital disease characterized by uncontrolled hair loss.
- Solar dermatosis. May develop due to hypotrichosis and subsequently lead to more serious consequences, for example, skin cancer.
The first two diseases develop if both parents are carriers of a recessive gene. Sick kittens should be examined by a veterinarian. Animals with pathologies are not allowed to mate.
In order to prevent the development of solar dermatosis, one should not allow the cat to be in the open sun.
In good conditions, Cornish Rex will live for about 15 years. Some cats can live up to 20.
Cornish Rex Character
Cornish Rex - kind and affectionate cats. Breeders note that these cats do not know how to stay alone. They need a lot of attention from the owner, since Cornish Rexes are not attached to the house, but to the person. Left alone at home, they are sad and try to find an occupation that is not always approved by the household.
Cats of this breed lend themselves well to training, perform some simple commands. They will gladly bring the owner an abandoned ball or settle down at their feet.
Such cats are playful and curious, and they retain these qualities all their lives. Cornish Rex can even invent games on its own. In addition, they get along well with children and other pets.
Thus, the main character traits of Cornish Rex:
- A short Cornish Rex fur will save him neither from the frost, nor from the scorching sun.
- The health of the cat needs to be protected, because because of the structure they are very sensitive to anesthetics. With surgery, Cornish Rex may simply not survive anesthesia.
- If you are a busy person, then Cornish Rex is not for you. Upon arrival, you will see torn pillows and broken cups - victims of cat games, and next to him - the cat himself, staring offended at the floor.
- The Cornish Rex paw pads are small, so they cannot completely remove the claws. The cat will need a claw-brush or a regular clipping.
Cornish Rex Color Gallery
The coat of cornish rex is sparse, but he needs care like any other cat.
Cornish needs to be combed out once every 1-2 weeks, during shedding a little more often. It is recommended to do this with soft bristles made of natural bristles or combs with short soft teeth. Sharp teeth can injure the delicate skin of a cat.
Cornish should be washed more often than other short-haired cats, because its rare coat does not collect excess fat, which makes them similar to sphinxes. Once in a couple of weeks the cat will have to bathe. But there is good news - Cornish Rex treats water well, especially if you accustom it to water procedures from a young age.
Important! Due to their short coat, these cats rarely cause allergies in humans. But you need to remember that it is not the wool that causes allergies, but the enzymes contained in the saliva, so when dealing with corns, allergies should still be careful.
This breed is very mobile, so the basis of their diet should be protein food. Of course, you can give the cat a balanced industrial feed, however, many prefer natural feeding.
Important! Do not give cats seafood and sea fish in order to avoid the appearance of urolithiasis.
If you feed a cat with natural food, then include in its diet:
- Turkey meat It is non-greasy, does not cause allergies, unlike chicken, and is good for a cat.
- Liver and beef scar.
- Vegetables (carrots, zucchini, pumpkin).
- Cereals and cereals.
- White fish (not more than 2 times a week).
- Boiled eggs (1 piece per week).
- Dairy products.
Important! These graceful cats have one feature - they are real gluttons. Cornish Rex will gladly eat five or six times a day, but you will have to transfer it to two meals a day so that it does not gain excess weight.
Other body care
For Cornish Rex, ear care is important. Inspect the auricles regularly. Ears should be cleaned with a cotton swab or cotton pad soaked in liquid paraffin.
Cat's claws also need attention. For them, it is worth buying a claw-tip and train the cat to it. If this is not possible, carefully cut the claws as they grow a couple of millimeters.
The rest of the care is no different from the care of another breed. The eyes are wiped with a damp cotton swab or a cloth soaked in water or eye drops. Once a week, with the help of a brush and cat's toothpaste, the pet is cleaned with teeth or using dentological sticks.
Cornish Rex is temperature sensitive. In the cold, they easily catch a cold, in the heat - they overheat and get burns. It’s not worth walking such cats, it’s better to buy a cat complex or just entertain the cat more often at home.
In a country house, a cat needs to pay a lot of attention. The room maintain a constant temperature. It is better not to let the cat go to the site for the sake of his health.
|General information||Breed of curly little cats||Confused with Devon Rex|
|Character||Friendly and dedicated. Happy to spend time with family||Become attached to one owner|
If you are often away from home, it’s better to keep the corns
Cats are prone to obesity, so you need to monitor your cat's diet, especially after sterilization
How to choose a Cornish Rex kitten
They are taken from the baby's parents in 3-4 months. It is at this age that a kitten from a good breeder is accustomed to a tray and a claw claw, does not play with the hands and feet of people. It is better to choose a kitten in nurseries so as not to run into a sick or unclean kitten.
What to look for when choosing a kitten:
- The behavior of the baby. The kitten should be cheerful, affectionate, should not be afraid of strangers.
- The coat is clean, soft, without bald patches. From the cat itself does not smell anything pleasant.
- The eyes, nose, ears and anus should be clean.
- There is no inflammation on the gums. Ask the kitten owner to open his mouth and examine the teeth and gums of the Cornish.
The cost of a Cornish Rex kitten is quite high. Depending on the nursery and kitten class, the price can be from 5 to 60 thousand rubles.
15 Photos of Cornish Rex cat
Click the thumbnail to enlarge it.
100 years ago, this breed was spotted in England, where they began to breed them. The first cat of this breed was born from a simple cat as a result of an accidental mutation. The breed standards were approved in 1983 in Europe.
The character of Cornish Rex resembles a dog. They are friendly, brave and curious. Strongly attached to the owner. Cornish - good-natured and active cats. They chase the owner everywhere in anticipation of affection and attention. Such a breed is always in motion, plays and jumps, can do something out of harm in order to be paid attention to. Rex cats are loyal animals, they may not survive separation from the owner. They are not touchy and not revengeful.
They are smart, understand individual teams and can be trained. Animals are afraid of loneliness, they feel sad and scared. It is recommended to start a second cat so that they are not lonely and bored. Cats love to walk, in the cold period they need to be dressed or walked in a special purse.
External features of Cornish Rex cats
|Breed name||Cornish Rex|
|Origin time||1950 year|
|Continent of Origin||Great Britain|
|Life span||13-16 years old|
|Average weight||4-5 kg (in adulthood)|
|Average height||24-26 cm|
|The cost of kittens||300-500 dollars|
Soft, wavy and very pleasant to the touch. These are short-haired cats with fluffy undercoat. The coat is firmly attached to the body. The villi on the chest and abdomen are noticeably shorter than in other areas.
The undercoat of such pets also has dense wave-like curls. Because of this pile structure, the purr is often called an astrakhan cat.
It can be completely different. To date, more than 20 varieties of Cornish Rex are distinguished.
Small, too elongated, has an oval shape. The breed is distinguished by high cheekbones and a long nose with a small hump.
They are distinguished by their large size and high stature, which makes the cat look as if he is always alert.
They have a shaft shape, a little mow, set wide at a distance from each other. The color of the eyes in animals will depend on the specific color.
Very long. Thin - slightly expanded to the base and tapering to the tip. Pretty flexible.
Cornish Rexes belong to the category of medium-sized cats, however, in terms of body size, they border on small representatives of domestic furry cats. Such cats have a muscular chest and long slender limbs with heavy hips. Pet's paws are small, have an oval shape.
Cornish Rex character
Cats with curly hair quickly won the favor of people. And this is not surprising - these pets are simply ideal companions and friends of the family. They are very sociable and inquisitive. True, Cornish Rex kittens can hardly stand loneliness. Therefore, if you are often forced to be absent at home, try to ensure that the animal has enough toys. Or get some more pets - Cornish Rex get along well with other cats or dogs.
Cornish Rex love to be near the owner. They can sit on your lap for hours and purr. At the same time, pets are quite curious. There is no corner in the apartment or house where the paw of the animal would not have stepped.
Such pussies are very smart. If you wish, you can teach Cornish Rex to perform simple commands, such as bringing a ball or serving a paw, for example.True, training will only take place if the cat himself wants it — their character is stubborn and it is unlikely that you will succeed in getting Cornish Rex to do something outside his will.
Maintenance and care
Despite the fact that such pets belong to the category of short-haired breeds, additional care is necessary for their hair. About once every 2 weeks you need to comb the four-legged friend using a comb with natural bristles. It is better to take a softer brush, so as not to injure the skin of the pet.
Cornish Rex cats have one feature of the coat - the animal coat is not able to absorb sweat in sufficient quantities. Therefore, you often need to bathe a purr - so you can avoid some skin diseases. It is better to start the procedure from the age of 4 months. It is necessary to bathe a kitten once a month using a special shampoo.
Be sure to watch the eyes of the pussies - if mucus accumulates in the corners, you need to rinse them with a special solution.
Regularly bring a Cornish Rex cat to the veterinarian for examination, and vaccinate as scheduled.
Important! There is an opinion that the Cornish Rex cat belongs to hypoallergenic breeds. It is believed that such kittens can be kept at home by people who suffer from allergies to pets. However, this is not quite true. The fact is that due to the short coat, such pets are clearly lesser pathogens. However, an allergy can occur not only on wool, but also on saliva or enzymes. So consider Cornish Rex completely safe for people with allergies is impossible.
How to feed Cornish Rex cats?
There are no special nutritional requirements for Cornish Rex. As with other cats, it is important to maintain a balance between meat, vegetables, cereals, etc. It is advisable to feed a four-legged friend using feed of a super-premium class or holistic. Fortunately, today many manufacturers offer special feeds for a single breed. Such nutrition takes into account all the features of the growth and development of Cornish Rex and combines all the ingredients necessary for an animal.
If you feed your pet with natural food, add vitamin and mineral complexes to the diet that will saturate the pet's body with all the necessary trace elements.
Health and Disease
Despite the strong physique of Cornish Rex, the diseases that pussies encounter also have a place to be. Special predispositions to genetic diseases in representatives of the breed are not observed. However, many Cornish Rex cats are prone to such ailments as:
- retinal atrophy,
- metabolic disorders and malfunctions of the digestive tract,
- baldness (alopecia).
To prevent all of the above diseases will allow proper care of the cat, as well as regular inspection of the veterinarian.
Photo Cornish Rex
I have already said that the color of Cornish Rex can be absolutely anything. This item is not specified in the breed standards in any way - you can find a pet with a plain coat or with characteristic spots or stripes. Just look at these beautiful representatives of cats with curly hair!
Red Cornish Rex:
White Cornish Rex:
Cornish Rex tortie color:
How much do Cornish Rex kittens cost?
Like most breeds, the cost of Cornish Rex kittens will depend on which category the pet belongs to. Today it is customary to divide all kittens into 3 main classes. At the same time, babies of completely different classes can be born in one litter:
- Pat. They cannot participate in exhibitions and contests due to the presence of breed defects. Such Cornish Rex cost about 400 dollars.
- Brid. Such kittens can be used for breeding, but their pedigree is still far from ideal. Price Cornish Rex class breeds - 600-700 dollars.
- Show. Show cats that meet all breed standards and have just the perfect pedigree cannot be cheap. The price of kittens is about 800-1000 dollars.
Be sure to buy a kitten from a trusted breeder. Otherwise, you may be deceived with the cost of the pet. Unscrupulous breeders can sell kittens with pet health problems at the cost of the show category - so carefully check the pedigree and all documents for the pet.
Cornish Rex is a stunningly cute creature with curly hair that attach to its owner and show sincere love for him. The main thing is to give the pet enough time and provide him with proper care. Who has a curly cat at home - tell your interesting stories about Cornish Rex.
Rex have a lean, elongated and muscular body. A slender and elongated torso, powerful and proportionate to the body of the thigh, a curved back, strong shoulders. Their paws are long and slender. The tail is muscular. The neck is long and thin. A small and elongated head. Cornish Rex has a graceful face, high cheekbones, a protruding chin and a long nose. Cornish ears are large, triangular and wide, eyes are large, oval in shape, color is combined with the main color.
Wool and colors
The breed has a short silky and wavy coat, which is why cats are called astrakhan.
What are Rex cats?
- white (nose and pillows of paws are pink, eyes are blue or golden),
- black (nose and paw pads black or brown, eyes golden),
- blue (blue nose, golden eyes),
- red (nose and paw pads brick red),
- silvery smoky (the color on the spine is dark, on the neck, chest and tummy, and under the tail is white, the contours of the eyes, lips and nose are outlined in black, the nose is brick red, the eyes are green or bluish-green),
- black smoky (white base, nose and paw pads black),
- smoky blue (paws and mask are blue, with a narrow white strip at the base of the coat, near the skin, pink paw pads),
Cats are colorful:
- classic tabby (limbs are painted with rings, there is a vertical line on the back, large stains on the sides),
- tiger tabby (on the forehead is the letter "M"),
- spotted tabby (with spots of red and beige color),
- brown spotted tabby (with a classic or tiger tabby pattern with spots of red and beige, lips and chin of the same color as the circles near the golden eyes of bright color),
- blue spotted tabby (beige color with a blue tint with a tiger pattern of tabby dark blue, eyes bright golden),
- silver spotted tabby (silver with a tiger pattern, red spots on the muzzle, eyes full of golden color),
- silver tabby (classic, brindle with a brick-colored nose and green eyes),
- red tabby (the main color is red, the nose and paw pads are brick red),
- brown tabby (copper brown, brick red nose, golden eyes),
- blue tabby (classic, brindle),
- cream tabby (classic, brindle),
- tortoiseshell (black with red spots or red spots on both sides, eyes golden),
- smoky tortie (the lower part is white, the paws may have a darker speck than the rest of the body, the nose is black or brick red, the eyes are golden),
- calico (white with dull black and red spots, eyes are golden, two-tone or blue),
- calico smoky (white with soft spots of black and red, eyes blue, golden or two-tone),
- clarified calico (white with blue and beige spots, golden eyes),
- blue-cream (blue with spots of beige, golden eyes),
- clarified van calico (white with spots of blue and beige, eyes blue or golden).
Addiction to disease
For the prevention of diseases once a year, Rex needs to be vaccinated, once every 6 months - to carry out the prevention of helminth infections and to treat fleas. Cornish Rex is a cat breed that is prone to fungal dermatitis and hypotrichosis (lack or poor development of coat), colds and cystitis. No hereditary diseases. Rexes do not tolerate anesthesia, so the dose should be minimal. Life expectancy is 15-20 years.