There are probably no people who have not encountered such a thing as acclimatization. Symptoms of this very unpleasant state of the body are varied and can seriously ruin an already short rest or complicate going to work upon returning home. This article will be devoted to how to alleviate the state of acclimatization in both adults and children.
Medical expert articles
Acclimatization is not a disease, but a natural process of adaptation of an organism to new living conditions. Therefore, it is not treated, no matter how people try to convince themselves of this. In order for the adaptation to be more gentle, it is important to engage in your own health in advance. Throughout the year, it is necessary to strengthen immunity, monitor the quality of food, engage in physical and breathing exercises in the morning, and also visit the gym for more intensive training. You need to walk a lot and lead a mobile lifestyle. It is also important to temper your body, get used to walking and make trips to nature in rainy and windy weather, with snow and low temperatures. To improve the adaptogenic properties of the body, it is useful to visit a bath or sauna, as well as engage in swimming.
It is known that many signs of acclimatization processes resemble colds. And therefore, on the seas and in the warm regions, our people take a whole suitcase of medicines, for each symptom individually and a whole handful, “just in case”. Especially characteristic is the “stuffing” with medicines of children whose mothers are simply afraid of any manifestations of illnesses among their children. This is not a panacea, but may, on the contrary, harm the body.
Therefore, parents and just adults need to remember that acclimatization treatment should only occur after consultation with specialists. And only they can prescribe the intake of certain drugs, as well as their dosage and duration of use. In addition, a good doctor can recommend a gentle method of acclimatization therapy, which includes the correct mode of life in these conditions, the desired water regime and diet, physical and respiratory exercises, physiotherapy, massages, water procedures, aromatherapy, and so on.
There are medications for acclimatization that will help increase the defenses of a person and strengthen his immunity. These include:
- Ginseng root tincture. It is taken forty minutes before eating twenty-five drops per quarter cup of water, two to three times a day. There are contraindications for taking this tincture for people who are diagnosed with exacerbated chronic diseases, hypertensive patients, people suffering from disorders of the central nervous system. In addition, tincture is prohibited for women during pregnancy and lactation, as well as for children under the age of sixteen.
- Tincture of Eleutherococcus root. It is taken half an hour before a meal, forty drops per quarter cup of water, two or three times a day. Contraindications to the reception of this tincture are in persons who have heart attacks. It is forbidden to use the medicine for hypertensive patients, people with an unbalanced nervous system or suffering from mental disorders, people with a diagnosis of vegetative-vascular dystonia. In hot times, it is better to refrain from drinking tinctures, because of the alcohol that is part of it.
- Bittner Balm. It is taken at ten milliliters three or four times a day for three or four weeks. The use of the drug is contraindicated for persons who have renal and hepatic insufficiency, cirrhosis of the liver, biliary tract disease. It is forbidden to take medicine for pregnant women and nursing mothers, as well as children under the age of twelve and alcohol-dependent people.
- Drops Beresh Plus. Children from one year old and adults take the drug one drop per two kilograms of body weight. In this case, the dose is divided into two daily doses. The medication should be used, diluted in water. It is recommended to take medicine during a meal. The use of drops is not recommended for people who have symptoms of renal failure, metabolic disorders of copper and iron, with sensitivity in the ingredients of the drug.
Among the medicines that help to survive the processes of adaptation of the body to new environmental conditions, there are tablets from acclimatization. Experts recommend using drugs:
- Geriavit Farmaton. The drug starts the processes of stimulating the nonspecific resistance of the body, and also accelerates the metabolism and energy. At the same time, cellular activity increases and oxygen uptake in tissues improves. The drug contains ginseng, vitamins, micro and macro elements. The medication is contraindicated for hypervitaminosis A or D, impaired calcium metabolism, as well as for people suffering from kidney dysfunctions and in the presence of sensitivity to the ingredients of the drug.
One tablet is used twice a day with food (during breakfast and lunch) for two to three weeks. Then you need to take the drug once a day, one tablet during breakfast. The drug must be taken as a whole, in no case chew.
- Experts advise taking multivitamins and immunomodulators for better adaptation to new living conditions. It should be noted that even such seemingly safe drugs should not be used without consulting a doctor.
How to get acclimatized?
People who care about their health will surely ask themselves: how to get acclimatized with less loss for their well-being? To achieve this, it is worth following our recommendations and forget about the problems:
- The first days after entering a new territory you need to lead a calm and sparing lifestyle. This concept includes normal and adequate sleep, as well as an early departure to night rest.
- Nutrition should also be moderate and restorative. It is important at the first time to introduce new products and dishes in small doses, as well as monitor the body's response to these innovations. It is recommended to refrain from the use of exotic dishes, the reaction of the body to which is unknown.
- You should avoid taking alcoholic beverages, especially in the first couple of days in a new place and, especially, in large quantities.
- It is necessary to take a large amount of liquid, namely pure water. Two liters a day is the minimum that you need to carefully monitor. It is best to drink non-carbonated purified water or water with a low percentage of salinity.
- Purchased water bottles should be selected in which the lid is tightly closed to avoid counterfeiting the drink. Do not drink tap water to avoid intestinal infections. You should also avoid buying teas or iced water, which are sold on the streets in many hot countries. Local residents, as a rule, prepare drinks with tap water, which can be harmful to tourists who are not used to this water.
- In order to prevent overheating of the body or getting a sunstroke, it is important to minimize the time spent in the sun at the very beginning. Sunbathing is in the morning and evening hours. And the amount of time that can be given to such procedures should be no more than ten to fifteen minutes in one session.
- It is necessary to observe all the usual rules of hygiene - take a shower daily and monitor the cleanliness of the body.
- It is also important to do light exercises and simple breathing exercises, which you need to learn before arriving in a new country.
Prevention of acclimatization is to prepare your body in advance for new living conditions for it. Therefore, before any trips that create stressful conditions for the body, you need to gently prepare it for new circumstances.
So, experts recommend following these measures:
- It is worth preparing yourself for the new time zone. To do this, you need to move the clock hands to a new time ahead of time, as well as gradually shift the moments of retirement and awakening. Such a measure will allow a person to minimize stress when they appear in new territories.
- It is good to gradually transfer food intake at intervals of the day that are more consistent with the time of meals in the new territory.
- The body must gain strength and energy. Therefore, the usual hectic preparations for trips must be made in advance. On the contrary, a week before a pleasant trip, it is important to spend time in a measured and calm rhythm. And also to avoid big and small shocks, to devote a large amount of time to rest and relaxation, to sleep well and soundly.
- It is worth recalling about proper nutrition, which no less affects the strength and health of a person. A sufficient diet, in which all the substances necessary for the body are present, is the key to its endurance and stress resistance.
Live stone treatment
There are many types of treatment for live stones, but we will describe only two main ones:
The first method. The treatment process in established aquariums with fish, corals and invertebrates includes:
- wash each piece of live stone in a bucket of salt water to remove organic waste and unwanted inclusions,
- Place the stone in a clean 100 liter container (container). Add pumps to quickly pump out water and water changes,
- fill the stone with fresh saline, density 1.021-1.025,
- Set the heater at 24-29 ° C. In general, the higher the temperature, the faster the treatment process, as unwanted inclusions and organisms do not tolerate high temperatures,
set a constant flow of water using compresses or an air stone,
- keep the area shaded to prevent algae growth,
- do a 100% water change twice a week,
- then the stone must be cleaned with a nylon or a new toothbrush to remove the white film or dead tissue,
- After a week, measure the level of ammonia and nitrite. As soon as the water indicators stabilize, and the ammonia level drops to zero, the stone is considered processed and ready to be placed in an installed aquarium.
Using the above method, most living stones can be cured in 3-5 weeks.
The second method. Treatment of stones in a new aquarium, WITHOUT fish, coral and other inhabitants, includes the following:
- Live stone can also be used to launch a new saltwater aquarium. Follow the instructions for use during installation of any equipment and filtration systems,
fill the aquarium with water and add salt to achieve the required density of 1.021-1.025,
- install all filtration equipment, check the aquarium for leaks, install a heater or cooler to achieve the required temperature of 24-29 degrees Fahrenheit,
- wash each piece of stone in a bucket of salt water to remove unwanted organisms and pollution,
- place a live stone in the aquarium to create the basis for coral and decor,
- do not turn on the lights while starting up the aquarium to avoid unwanted algae growth,
- clean each piece of stone with a new brush to remove the white film and dead tissue,
- change 50% of the water once a week, using a siphon to remove any organic remains or contaminants from the bottom,
- check ammonia and nitrite levels once a week,
- as soon as ammonia and nitrite indicators are at zero, make a 50% water change,
- After a day, check the pH level, it should be at around 8.1-8.4.
Depending on the equipment installed in the aquarium, the process of treating live stone will take from 3 to 5 weeks using this method.
Useful Pest Control Tips
Important: do not put live in an aquarium with fish, corals or invertebrates until it is completely cured.
Before (or after) cure a live stone, you can immerse it for a minute in salt water, with a density of 1,035-1,040. All invertebrates, including shrimp, crabs and worms, will leave the stone. The worms attached to the stone can be removed with tweezers.
Credit: Portal Zooclub
When reprinting this article, an active link to the source is MANDATORY.
Change your day
If possible, review your regime 3–5 days before departure.
- Are you flying west? Then rise at 9-10 hours, on the side - not earlier than midnight, dinner is finally late.
- Are you heading east? Act the other way around: get up at about 6, have dinner no later than 18 hours and go to bed at about 21:00.
Bear in mind that it’s more convenient to go to the west in the morning or afternoon flight, and in the east - in the evening. If the trip is long, it makes more sense to divide it into several stages and fly with transfers, so the body will be easier to cope with the change of time zones.
Drink more water on the plane
In an airplane, the air is dehydrated, and your mucous membranes dry, they become less protective substances, such as lysozyme. And this is a green corridor for bacteria and viruses that cling to the body with a dear soul amid a decrease in immune responses caused by acclimatization. Therefore, drink water on the road, and refrain from alcohol and coffee - they only increase the release of scarce liquid. (By the way, we also have such material: “We strengthen immunity competently.”)
Restore the water-salt balance
So, you are there. Where it is hot, the body works in cooling mode - it sweats. Accordingly, you lose a lot of moisture and salts. To establish a water-salt regime, drink a mineral water with potassium, sodium and magnesium (2–2.5 liters per day) - The loss of these trace elements can cause muscle weakness and cramps. It makes sense to take preparations containing K, Na and Mg to the resort and take 1 tablet 3 times a day until the problem disappears. Drinking such funds in advance does not make sense - the necessary substances do not accumulate.
Yes - the right carbohydrates (whole grain bread, unrefined cereals, fruits, vegetables) and protein that is easily digested (seafood, fish, cottage cheese). No - fatty, spicy, smoked, fried, such it’s difficult to digest the stomach while it’s also acclimatized. It is especially useful to eat foods rich in vitamins C and E, such as sweet peppers, kiwi, citrus fruits, green peas, avocados, almonds, and vegetable oil. By the way, it would be great to eat the same way before the trip.
Royal jelly helps to facilitate acclimatization, unless of course you have an allergy. Three times a day, put a tablet under the tongue and hold until completely resorbed - and so on for a week.
Acclimatization after vacation
The one who quickly coped with acclimatization and managed to have a good rest should rely on the bonus game - another adaptation period, but already at home. It’s much easier to get used to the native low temperatures, but an ultraviolet hunger strike can affect the general condition.Upon returning, you can easily catch a cold or at least fall into a melancholy: post-release depression is a reality.
The recipe is simple - dress according to the weather, get enough sleep (for this you need to know how to sleep), spend more time outdoors in natural light, sunlight will help to quickly restore disturbed biorhythms. Royal jelly as a general tonic is also useful here.
What is acclimatization?
The reaction to changing time and climate zones is a natural biological process. So the body is trying to adapt, adapt to new conditions: geographical, weather and psychological. And this always happens when a person changes habitat. A condition increases depending on the distance of the trip. Well, if a traveler, seduced by promises of heat and sun (when we have a damp and cold winter), goes to southern countries, then the process becomes especially painful.
A sharp “jump” in another season, as a rule, does not pass without a trace for the “confused” organism, accustomed to a certain length of day, humidity and air temperature. Even strong and healthy people begin to feel unwell, lose their appetite and suffer from insomnia. What can we say about those who are prone to any chronic diseases? They have acclimatization, the symptoms of which will be discussed below in detail, turning into real flour.
How does acclimatization manifest itself?
It is necessary to make a reservation right away that how a person will carry the trip largely depends on his age, lifestyle, health status and various characteristics of the body. Usually, the process of adapting to new conditions lasts about 14 days. And only after this time the body begins to truly rest and heal.
Acclimatization in adults has very remarkable symptoms, and they are divided into several phases.
- The first is usually associated with the novelty factor. In medicine, it is called indicative. It lasts several hours after arrival at a new place and is manifested by sudden drowsiness, decreased activity, as well as increased pressure and indigestion.
- The second phase is a period of increased reactivity, which is manifested by a decrease in the reliability of body systems. Most often, it manifests itself as an exacerbation of existing diseases and a serious weakening of those systems that have been subjected to ailments or injuries.
- Alignment is the third phase in which acclimatization is manifested. Symptoms that so depress the traveler all the time pass, and getting used to new conditions.
Signs of acclimatization
Adaptation of the body to a new place, as a rule, has very mixed signs, and often they are confusing. Judge for yourself, the traveler may feel:
- drowsiness (or insomnia),
- stool disorders (constipation or diarrhea),
- loss of appetite
- mood decline, irritability,
- nausea (which may be accompanied by vomiting)
- temperature increase to subfebrile values,
- increased sweating
- body aches
- runny nose and sore throat.
As you probably already noticed, the acclimatization of the symptoms has very similar signs of a cold or food poisoning, which unfortunately leads to the uncontrolled use of antipyretic, anti-allergenic, painkillers or sedatives.
What is the main problem of acclimatization
The trouble of the average budget traveler is that the long-awaited alignment, contrary to general opinion, usually occurs not earlier than 14 days after arrival, and only a few are able to experience it during a short vacation. What to do in this state of affairs? How to facilitate and reduce the process of adaptation of the body in a new place?
Tips in this case are quite commonplace:
- Acclimatization will be easier if a place with a roughly similar climate is chosen for relaxation.
- Switch to the hourly regime of the host country in advance.
- Arriving at the place, do not immediately go on an excursion or the beach, but take a good rest after the road (it is better to plan an arrival in the evening, then the hardest hours will pass in a dream).
- In a hot climate, do not forget about enough water (at least 3 liters), by the way, it must be bottled - this will help to avoid intestinal disorders, which most often occur during travel.
Acclimatization: symptoms, treatment
Let’s now take a closer look at the symptoms and find out what to do: do you need to be treated right away or is it worth the wait until the body copes with the situation?
Feeling of sore throat, runny nose and chills are fairly common signs of acclimatization. They will have to come to terms with. Do not try to drown them out with any drugs, but to alleviate the condition, take vitamin C. If a serious increase in temperature is added to the symptoms, then it is worthwhile to carry out the appropriate treatment, since the body weakens and is able to more easily catch the virus.
Increased sweating is also a clear sign of the body’s attempts to adapt to high air temperatures. At the same time, the traveler may feel that he is breathing harder, and his heart began to beat much more often. By the way, at this time in the body there is an increase in heat transfer, the vessels expand, and the blood becomes thicker, as a result of which it loses sodium and potassium ions. To alleviate the condition, you should drink plenty of mineral water.
By the way, during the period of acclimatization, the symptoms in women can also manifest as a violation of the menstrual cycle, which, incidentally, does not require special treatment, because, as a rule, it normalizes on its own during a long stay in a new place.
Is it necessary to specifically treat intestinal dysfunction
Bowel problems are perhaps the most common among travelers. He is upset already in the first days of vacation, and this condition can be affected both by the road (shaking on a train or pitching during a sea voyage), as well as unusual microbes found in food. The risk group in these cases includes fruits, especially those sold on the street, soda and fast food. If you are careful with the unfamiliar cuisine of a foreign country, then the signs of diarrhea without additional treatment will leave you in 2-3 days. True, you should not forget about heavy drinking in order to restore fluid loss during diarrhea.
Constipation is the flip side of the “coin,” also often disturbing holidaymakers. It arises, as a rule, as a reaction to stress, fatigue, and the same unusual cuisine. To help yourself, you should drink more, move, and best of all, swim.
Please note that in most southern countries tap water cannot be used to wash fruits or brush teeth! Be sure to stock up on bottled - this will protect you from infections.
Acclimatization after the sea: symptoms
And here you are, finally adapting to life in a hot climate and barely having time to enjoy your vacation, you return home. But alas, the body again experiences stress - re-acclimatization, which often goes even harder than the process of getting used to a new climate.
Usually, such repeated acclimatization of symptoms (temperature, sore throat, aching, chills) brings down a traveler who returned to his native land almost immediately upon returning home. And do not sin at the same time on drafts in the train or poor air conditioning in the room.
For some travelers, coming home can result in a breakdown, drowsiness, and even real depression. But note, this will happen if you have to go to work right away. Therefore, pre-worry that you have left in reserve at least two days for a good rest, but at home. A sound sleep, a relaxed state and vitamin C intake will help you recover faster and relieve the severity of the problem.
What is the difference between acclimatization in children
Due to the imperfection of the immune system in a child, doctors do not advise children under three years old to leave their native latitudes. However, at an older age, the acclimatization in children has quite clear symptoms: headache, fears, weakness, lethargy, bad mood, tearfulness, as well as fever, nausea and vomiting.
The bad thing is that the process of adaptation to new conditions reduces the immunity of children, and they become vulnerable to various infections, which immediately makes itself felt in the form of sore throat or severe runny nose.
By the way, in this case, doctors advise starting to prepare the child for the trip in advance. For example, temper and drip the Derinat preparation two weeks before going on a trip. Then the baby will easily transfer the new climate and adapt to it.
Adaptogens and other contents of the first-aid kit
Do not forget about the first-aid kit, which will help on the trip. It is necessary to put large amounts of water in it, antihistamines that will help you out in case of allergies to flowers or insect bites, Validol and pills for headaches.
Be sure to have sunblock, burns, bruises and abrasions, band-aid, as well as adaptogens. These drugs help to quickly adapt to new conditions, with the help of them, by the way, the acclimatization of the child after the sea is also normalized.
Addictive symptoms become less pronounced when consuming general strengthening agents of a natural origin: magnolia vine, eleutherococcus (take 3 r. Per day, 40 drops), and ginseng-based preparations (25 drops. 3 r. Per day). By the way, you should start taking them a month before departure, and if you also become tempered and play sports, the effect will be especially strong.
What to do to make it easier to transfer acclimatization?
Do not be afraid, of course, the process of getting used to the new climate does not always and not at all turn into continuous ailments. But to make it easier to adapt on vacation, so that there is a simple acclimatization after the sea, the symptoms of which have already been described, start preparing two weeks before departure: take vitamins, temper, consult a doctor (he will give you recommendations that are relevant to your personal health condition). And during the rest, be prudent and careful.