Ocelot plus cat is equal to ocicat. This is how I want to decipher the name of this pet. But the wild predator did not run here and there. Only some similarities between the spotted skin and the lively moving temperament gave such a name to the breed.
The history of the origin of this breed began in 1964 in the state of Michigan, United States of America. Without any randomness so frequent in breeding. Bridder Virginia Daily from Berkeley deliberately set out to get a domestic cat with the appearance of a wild predator, crossing exclusively known breeds without diluting them with hybrid blood.
The female who stood at the beginning of the new line was no longer purebred. Two bloods were mixed in it - Abyssinian and Siamese. After knitting it with a thoroughbred Siamese cat, on the third attempt, it was possible to get a kitten with tabby color in the litter - golden uniform spots on a cream background.
Named after Tonga, the cat became the first ocicat in history, but not a successor to the clan. The daughter of a bridder caught the resemblance of the baby with the proud handsome Ocelot, it was she who came up with the name of the breed.
Wild cat ocelot
Serious breeding of the new line began when other breeders with an American shorthair cat joined Virginia.
The cat Dalai Dotson, brother of Tong from the following litter, interested in the American geneticist Clyde Killer from the University of Georgia. But, for family reasons, the bridder, work on new spotted cats was postponed for many years.
Only in 1972, the Ocicat, a descendant of the Dalai, was first presented at the exhibition. Interest in these unusual cats in America has grown incredibly over the years. Prior to official recognition, about a hundred animals were registered as experimental samples. The American Felinological Association CFA approved the new breed only in 1987. Today, these pets are recognized by all the leading international cat lover systems.
Characteristics of appearance and breed standard
The TICA Association gives the following description of this unusual cat:
- Head. Slightly wedge-shaped without sharp edges - almost rectangular.
- Forehead. Tall, long, like the whole profile.
- The chin. Strong, smooth.
- Neck. Long enough, flexible.
- The ears. Not too large, medium set, visually continue the rectangle of the head. A plus are the brushes on the tips.
- Eyes. East section, very widely set. Any color except blue. It does not depend on the color of the coat.
- Body. The type is average, athletic, not powerful and not elegant. The back is just above the shoulders.
- Paws Medium, well developed, proportional to the body.
- Tail. Proportional to body length, strongly tapering to a dark tip.
- Wool. Short, thick, tight-fitting, shiny. Must be of sufficient length for the characteristic manifestation of a tick.
- Color. Only spotted tabby. Each villus is ticked - has a bright tip. Characteristic drawing - the letter "M" on the forehead, the main background is lighter than marked. All lines and spots are darker along the ridge and on the muzzle, the chin, abdomen, and the inner surface of the paws are lighter. Stains on the stomach are also required.
- Weight. The animal is medium in size. The female is up to four to five, the male is six to seven kilograms.
- Character. Aggressive behavior is not allowed. All manifestations of stress are allowed, except for attempts to attack a person or bite him.
- Crossbreeding. Since 2015 only interbreed.
- aggressive behavior,
- white marks and medallions on the chin, chest and neck,
- fractures and bends of the tail,
- sunken, narrow chest
- strabismus or other vision problems,
- Blue eyes,
- long wool.
Spotted color types:
- brown - tauni - black, nose - black and pink with a dark rim, pads almost black.
- reddish brown - cinnamon, all tones of light chocolate with slightly darker spots, pink nose and paw pads.
- chocolate - chocolate spots on a thick-milk background of the main coat. The nose is pink with a brown border, the paw pads are pale chocolate.
- dim - the background is blue, lilac, faun, spotting darker in shade.
- silver (with different color modifications - black, brown, chocolate, dim).
The classic marble version is not yet recognized by felinological systems, but it is very interesting for bridders and they continue to work a lot on it in the USA.
Mr. Cat recommends: Character
If you decide to have a domestic and highly social cat with a predatory color in the apartment, then you should know about the features of his temperament:
- Outwardly, it seems small, but if you take the cat in your arms, it is unexpectedly heavy - under the smooth shiny hair that fits tightly to the body, it's solid muscles. Ready at any moment to break loose and rush to play.
- Unpretentious in everything - in food and maintenance.
- Highly social being, never shuns new people. To the best of curiosity, he is interested in everything and always.
- Very active and constantly on the move. Needs to communicate with either a person or another pet. You need a lot of toys and preferably simulators.
- Highly intelligent, persistent researcher. He quickly learns and will open doors, boxes, boxes with enviable tenacity and perseverance.
- He loves to travel, enjoys driving with the owner.
- A cat with his own opinion about everything. Coercion will not tolerate anything. He will come when he wants to chat. Forcibly pick him up will not work.
- Talkative enough, but not as talkative as a Siamese. The Abyssinian does not suffer from excessive obsession.
- With small children will be restrained and removed. He doesn’t want to be a toy for anyone. With a wild appearance, this cat surprisingly received the dignity of a predator.
Care, maintenance, health
Short and shiny hair practically does not shed and does not require special care. If you decide to bathe your pet, which should not be done often, then you need to do this quickly and carefully, only with a special zoo shampoo. Wet wool is enough to get wet slightly, it will dry quickly. Then gently comb with a comb with frequent metal teeth, and finally draw a wool velvet napkin for grooming. The tips of the claws are cut once every two weeks.
They quickly learn to use a toilet and a claw-tip - this smart beast has no problems with upbringing.
Nutrition must be balanced, it is better to use dry feed of a super-premium class.
In general, it is a healthy animal with a lifespan of up to twenty years. But from three independent breeds - Siamese, Abyssinian and American Shorthair - it has become prone to certain diseases:
- cardiomyopathy - manifested in young cats,
- kidney failure can occur in the seventh to eighth year of life,
- periodontal disease.
To prevent diseases of the oral cavity, it is enough to feed with high-quality dry food and occasionally give special treats with the effect of cat's toothpaste.
In order to prevent serious diseases, it is necessary:
- timely treat the cat from external parasites,
- deworming on time - once a quarter,
- annually vaccinate against rabies and feline viral infections in a state veterinary clinic,
- once a year to undergo preventive examinations by a doctor.
This breed is quite rare for Russia. Nurseries are mostly located in the United States of America and some in France.
Single breeders in Russia will even rarely sell a pet kitten for a price below thirty thousand rubles.
If you choose an exhibition animal show or a brid class, then you should definitely be interested in the absence of hereditary diseases and developmental defects in his parents. You may have to do special laboratory testing.
These individuals will cost much more. They must be accompanied by a contract of sale, a pedigree and a veterinary passport indicating the deworming marks and stamps of the state veterinary clinic about vaccinations against rabies and known viral infections.
The original appearance of the cat Ocicat is very reminiscent of wild relatives, including a cat fisherman from Egypt, as well as a marsh lynx and small South American ocelots leopards. The history of the breed is connected with Virginia Dale and the US state of Michigan, where Siamese cats bred to her were crossed with an Abyssinian-Siamese mixed breed.
As a result of crossbreeding, we managed to get a kitten with wool of an interesting cream color with unusual golden spots. The kitten was given the name "Tonga", and it is he who is considered the first representative of the Ocicat. Further improvement of the pedigree traits through experimental crosses made it possible to obtain and register in 1987 the world-famous cat breed Ocicat, which is recognized by ACF, FIFE, WCF, CFA, ACFA and TICA.
Description of appearance
A little less than thirty years ago, TICA developed the first standard, which subsequently underwent multiple adjustments. Currently, it is recommended to focus on the following pedigree features:
- the rounded and wedge-shaped head has a smooth bend of the transition from the muzzle to the wings and a light, gradual transition from the nose to the frontal part. The shape of the muzzle in the face is closer to the square, and quite elongated in profile, with a strong chin and well-developed lower jaw. Obligatory pedigree trait is the presence of the correct bite, and the standards allow a second chin or undercuts in adult males. The cervical region is quite long and graceful,
- ears of rather large sizes, triangular in shape, with a fit that extends the outer upper corners of the muzzle. It is allowed to have “trot” brushes on the tips of the ears, giving the animal a peculiar wild charm. The eyes are large, slanting, characteristic almond-shaped. The standards allow any eye color, even if it does not match the color, with the exception of blue. An additional advantage is the rich color of the iris,
- the long body is characterized by a strong and fairly heavy skeleton. The chest is wide, with rounded ribs. A distinctive feature is a muscular and athletic body with a raised back line in the direction of the tail. Due to the heavy skeleton, the weight of an adult ocicat is greater than the weight of other pedigree cats. The average weight of a female varies between 3.5–5.0 kg, and the weight of an adult male reaches 6.5–7.0 kg. A high exhibition score is influenced not by body weight, but by proportionality indicators and physique, which should be athletic,
- paws are proportionately folded, medium in length, with well-developed and well-defined muscles. There are five fingers on the forelimbs, and four fingers on the hind limbs.
It is interesting! The long and relatively thin tail has a narrowing at the end. According to color standards, the tail end has a characteristic dark coloration.
A short and fairly dense coat is characteristic of an ocicat, and in accordance with the pedigree characteristics, it should be smooth-silky to the touch, with a noticeable tint. A complete lack of fluffiness is necessary. A mandatory pedigree feature of the ocicat is ticking, which consists in a clear and contrasting pattern on the wool.
The main types of ocicat color:
- tan or “Tawny”, represented by warm brown or light bronze coat color with the presence of dark brown or black spots,
- chocolate staining or "Chocolate", represented by a light brown color, agouti or ivory with chocolate stains,
- brown staining or “Cinnamon”, represented by light agouti or ivory with reddish brown spots,
- blue staining or “Blue”, represented by a faint bluish background and saturated blue spots,
- lilac staining or “Lavender”, represented by a pale yellow or matte beige color with soft lavender spots,
- tan or “Fawn”, represented by basic agouti or ivory with tan, faint spots.
In addition to the six basic color options, there are combinations in silver, which are combined into six types and are represented by silver-white, gray or silver-black coloring with spots of chocolate, tan, dark brown or black, saturated blue or lavender.
The category “Any Other Variety” includes the following types of ocicat color:
- ticked or spotless against the general background,
- solid color or “Solid” with spots in the form of light shadows on a common background,
- classic Aztec-color or "Classic tabb" with a marble color.
Such standards are accepted by the felinological European associations and are not taken into account in world championships.
The Jungal Ocots
Ocotsets with marble tabby-dyeing belong to a separate breed of the Jungal, which takes part in individual championships, and has the following pedigree characteristics:
- spotting over the entire surface of the body,
- spots on the back and sides are located in a kind of imperfect rows,
- spots resembling fingerprints are scattered on my stomach,
- paws have basic staining and framing with incomplete ring "bracelets",
- on the tail there are dark “bracelets”, the number of which increases to the end part, painted in dark color,
- on the neck there is a semi-collar design in the form of a torn necklace,
- on the frontal part there is a well-defined scarab pattern in the form of the letter "M".
It is interesting! The eyes have a very characteristic and consistent frame of dark or light color.
History of the Ocicat breed
The Ocicat is an artificially bred cat breed whose ancestors are purebred cats. The purpose of breeding work is to obtain a domestic cat with an appearance that resembles the appearance of a wild reed cat as much as possible. The ocicat should copy the appearance of the reed relative, but have the character of a domestic cat. Breeders managed to achieve their goal, although the history of the breed is complex and ambiguous.
Ocicat is a hybrid of an Abyssinian cat with a Siamese
In the 1950s, an American breeder Virginia Dalai (Michigan, USA) bred an Abyssinian cat with a Siamese. Initially, the goal of the cross was to obtain kittens with a complex color (abyssin + siam). So there were Siamese cats with a color resembling that of a lynx. A few more attempts led to the appearance of lilac-chestnut and piebald siamese. After a long work, Virginia managed to get a cat with the right color (it was a fire-point Siamese cat). Later, the breeder tried to realize several more of her unusual plans. Once the result of the planned crossing was a kitten with an unusual spotty color. The daughter of Virginia suggested calling the cat an ocicat, rightly noting that the baby looks like an ocelot. The kitten was named Tonga.
The beautiful Tonga cat was not the animal the breeder wanted so much, so she sold it to a student named Thomas Brown. Virginia believed that Tonga was a funny and pretty “mistake”, so she took only $ 10 from Thomas. However, a student exhibited a cat at the 41st CFA Championship on February 20-21, 1965. Thomas announced an okciet as a representative of the breed of the future. But Tonga's show career was short. After some time, the thought of the beauty of the spotted cats returned to Virginia.To implement her plans, she again crossed the producers of Tonga.
Ocicat breed was displayed in several stages, but the result met all expectations
Active breeding of Ocicatus as a separate breed with preliminary status in the CFA was supposed to begin in 1966, but a number of circumstances interfered with the work of the Dalai. As a result, until 1980, only 99 cats were registered, but the breed was evaluated by both professionals and novice breeders. And in 1984 the first club of the Ocicat breed was registered - Ocicats International. After a couple of years, the oocytes received the CFA championship status. Ocicets recognized by the CFA in 1987 are gaining popularity every year. A growing number of breeders want to work with the breed.
Non-exhibition oocytes may have one or more defects, which are represented by the following symptoms:
- white spots in places that are not defined by breed standards,
- the presence of visual or latent defects in the tail,
- blue eye color
- long or fluffy hair,
- the wrong number of fingers on the limbs.
Important! Also, animals that have a non-standard or unapproved breed color are not allowed to participate in the championships.
Ocicat breed description
Ocicots were loved by people for their liveliness and the ability to quickly respond to what is happening around, and the appearance of a spotted cat is a pleasant addition. A complete and detailed description of the Ocicat is presented by the CFA standard.
a characteristic feature of Ocicots - spots throughout the body
Ocicat is an active, very sociable and curious breed. Both cats and cats of this breed are very attached to the owners, devoted to the family, and also are friendly to children and other pets, not trying to dominate the neighboring cat breeds.
Among other things, the breed is characterized by high intellectual abilities. Such an animal quickly remembers its name and some commands of the owner, therefore it is easily trained and is characterized by the ability to learn. Ocicots never show unmotivated aggression, and attract attention with a sufficiently loud, drawn out meow.
The appearance of a spotted cat
Ocicat is a cat of medium or large size (up to 7 kg) with distinct agouti spots (each hair is painted in several colors). Ocelots cats are athletic, muscular, strong and graceful.
The head of the cat is wedge-shaped. The muzzle is wide, slightly square in face, but oblong in profile. The ocicat has a strong chin and strong jaws, the neck is flexible, and males sometimes have a “second” chin. The ears of these cats are small in size, set at medium height and slightly alert. Possibly tassels on the ears (this is considered an advantage). The eyes are large, almond-shaped, a little slanting. The distance between the eyes is greater than the length of one eye. Eye color can be anything but blue. The more saturated the color, the better.
The extremities of a spotted cat should be dense, muscular, of medium length and proportional to the body. The paws should be small, oval and compact (on the front legs 5 fingers, on the back - 4). The tail is long but not thick; the tip of the tail should be slightly pointed. Growth of an adult male reaches 30–32 cm, and females are slightly lower - 26–28 cm.
if you look closely, you can see that the hairs of the ocicat resemble "ripples"
Ocicat wool is thick, smooth, shiny and short. All hairs must be ticked. Spots in the color appear where the dark areas of the hair coincide (in color). Where there are no spots, the ends of the hair are lighter. Lighter tones are found around the eyes, on the chin and on the lower jaw. The darkest color is visible at the tip of the tail. The more contrast the color, the better. According to the standard, it is believed that the spots on the wool should be clearly visible from any angle. Moreover, the spots on the muzzle may be darker than on the body.
The background color of the coat on the back may be darker, and on the stomach it may be lighter. The spots are not allowed to be pale or smeared, although light colors may not be as contrasting. Vertical lines are drawn on the forehead, which turn into small spots on the back of the head and on the shoulders. The “stroke” of the eyes should be clearly visible. From the outer corner of the eye, a curved dark line is directed down and along the cheek. Dark spots (in rows) are located along the ridge, they continue until the tail itself. And along the tail there are transverse stripes that are “mixed” with dots, the tip of the tail itself is dark.
Stripes in the form of torn rings are located on the neck and feet of the ocicat. CFA has approved several color options for the breed:
- reddish-brown dyeing (Tawny), represented by a warm brown or light bronze coat with dark brown or black spots,
- chocolate staining (Chocolate), represented by a light brown color, agouti or ivory with chocolate stains,
- brown staining (Cinnamon), represented by light agouti or ivory with reddish brown spots,
- blue staining (Blue), represented by a faint bluish background and saturated blue spots,
- lilac staining (Lavender), represented by a pale yellow or matte beige color with soft lavender spots,
- tan (Fawn), represented by basic agouti or ivory with yellow-brown, faint spots.
Care and maintenance
According to breeders and veterinarians, oocytes are a fairly hardy and healthy breed that does not require complex and special care. The hair of the animal is smooth, fluffy and short, therefore care measures consist in periodically combing with special catchers for cats. During molting, brushing is carried out daily or every other day, and to give shine, after combing, the wool is rubbed with suede.
A peculiarity of the breed is the tendency to damage the oral cavity by periodontosis, therefore, in order to maintain the health of the pet, it is very important to regularly brush your teeth with special toothpastes. Annually show the pet to the veterinarian to assess the condition of the teeth.
To wash silver ocicet, it is recommended to use bleaching shampoos. Exhibition animals need to be washed with special tinted detergents such as Biogrum. Once a week, you need to rinse the eyes of the animal with a cotton swab dipped in clean water, and also clean the outer ears with cotton buds.
Important! In the warm season and dry weather, you can walk your pet on a harness, not forgetting to use special protective agents against bloodsucking ectoparasites.
The preparation of the diet of an ocicet should be treated very carefully, and adhere to the following recommendations of experienced breeders and specialists:
- use premium dry feeds designed to feed Siamese or Oriental breed,
- during natural feeding, give preference to meat in the form of boiled beef or chicken and dairy products,
- weekly supplement the diet with boiled sea fish, as well as vegetable crops and eggs.
It is strictly forbidden to use products such as river fish, pork, milk, as well as spicy, sweet and fried foods for feeding your pet. The use of powdered bioadditives and special pastes based on vegetable oil gives a good result. Natural products are fed freshly prepared, warm.
Buying tips and tricks
At present, the Ocicat breed is very popular, therefore, high demand gives rise to an incredible number of offers, among which it is very difficult to choose a pedigree, purebred and healthy animal. Well-established nurseries do not sell kittens whose age is less than 2.5-3 months. It is at this age that the animal is already socially adapted and fully accustomed to the tray, as well as the claw point.
It will also be interesting and useful:
The animal should be vaccinated against panleukopenia, calicivirus infection, rhinotracheitis, rabies and chlamydia, as well as the pet must undergo deworming. All data must be entered in the veterinary passport of an international standard. The cost of a kitten of this breed, belonging to the class "Pet" and not intended for display at exhibitions or breeding, starts with thirty thousand rubles. If an animal is accustomed to communication from an early age and is raised in a friendly atmosphere, it grows affectionate and very good-natured.
The owner of the ocicat needs to be prepared for the fact that the pet will differ in character from many other domestic cats. Spotted cats are active, smart and chatty. They know how to love a person and show their feelings. Usually the Ocicat is attached only to one person and is faithful to him all his life. Such a cat will also love other members of the family, but not as “in a special way” as its man. Ocicat himself will choose his owner (and this is not always the same person who bought the kitten). It is impossible to scare such a cat, he is very confident in himself. Ocotsets are oriented to people, they will not hide from guests and will be able to entertain themselves when they become bored.
A spotted pet may even cry if he urgently needs food or attention from the owner. However, his voice cannot be called nasty or creaky. The voice of the ociket will be calm, confident and pleasant, the cat will “chat” with anyone who will respond to his vocal masterpieces. Intelligent cats quickly remember their nicknames, but they can trick and pretend that this is not so. Some oocytes show training abilities. Such animals can learn to open any doors or lids of dishes and make their way to places in the house that a person would not have thought to isolate from the animal.
Ocelots cats are very dependent on people, therefore it is undesirable to leave them alone for a long time. If the owner does not have the opportunity to spend a lot of time at home, then for a spotted pet you can make a friend. It can be almost any pet (from a turtle to a dog). The cat will find something to talk with any animal. But there is one rule: it is risky to leave two ozikets at home unattended, because they can seriously play out and do something.
the oocytes are very playful, but they do not like loneliness
Acquisition of an Ocicat Kitten
Okyots are representatives of a rare breed, therefore in Russia there are few nurseries involved in their breeding. The cheapest spotted kitten can cost 30,000 rubles and this is natural. But if you were offered a cheaper child, then you need to beware. A professional breeder knows about the exclusivity of the breed, so it will never reduce the price.
Actually the breeder can be found on the Internet. If the issue of price is not acute, then perhaps you will like a kitten from a foreign cattery. Explore as many options as possible. Each of the trustworthy breeders can be called to clarify all the nuances that may interest you.
I have a familiar breeder. He told me that in our city there are no ozikets at all. When I showed him ads for the sale of Ocicat at a price of 5,000 rubles (and there are cheaper), he told me that there are very few Ocicat in Russia, but cannot be in our city at all. And even if it does, it will definitely not cost less than 50,000 rubles.
oocytes are valued because of their rarity
Criterias of choice
Rare cats are usually chosen in absentia (especially if the cattery is in another city or another country). Gather as much information as possible about the proposed animal. To be sure of the clean breed and good health of the kitten, all the necessary data can be asked to send by e-mail or in another convenient way. If everything suits you, then the kitten can be ordered. Whether the cat was brought to you after payment or you went after it personally, it must meet certain requirements:
- the kitten should be clean, well-groomed and with a shiny coat,
- eyes, nose and ears should be free of secretions and signs of inflammation,
- there should not be any wounds or abrasions on the body (especially ulcers),
- eyes should not be blue (otherwise, he may have a recessive gene that will lead to color point in his offspring),
- the color of the kitten should not have a hint of color point (Siamese color),
- if the kitten is not silver, then there should not be any white spots on it, except for natural ones (around the eyes, on the nostrils, chin and in the upper part of the throat),
- count the fingers on the front and hind legs (5 and 4, respectively),
- a kitten cannot have red, cream or “torbi” (torbi is a tortie, randomly spotted color).
The kitten must have documents confirming its belonging to the breed. Both parents are indicated in the pedigree, each of which can also have a pedigree (you can ask the breeder to show). In addition, the document should contain information about all kittens with defects that were in the genus of the kitten.
When you take the cat home, ask for some things baby. I heard that if a kitten finds its things in a new house, it will be easier for him to get used to an unfamiliar environment. When I took the kitten from the kennel, the breeder herself offered me the kitty’s things (tray, toys, etc.). And you can also ask for a little food familiar to the baby. They gave me a small package, but in general you can even buy it (at least a supply for 2-3 days until you find the same).
Before buying a kitten, you need to study its documents
The price of ocicat kittens with a pedigree varies from 500 y. E. up to 2500 at. E., depending on their class, drive into a search engine and it will give you nurseries. If without documents - this is not an acichet!
The age of the kitten, in which it is better to take it
A good breeder will not give up a small ocelot before the age of three months. After all, it is in 3 months that the kitten will be vaccinated, on which the life of the baby depends. Until this age, the kitten's immune system depends on the cat (primary immunity is instilled with colostrum of the cat). These are the main reasons why it is not recommended to tear the kitten from the nurse. Veterinarians agree with the breeders.
Feeding a kitten with cat's milk plays an important role in the life of the animal. While the cat is feeding her cub, she feels responsible for him, so she tries to give him as much as possible. The nurse teaches the kitten to eat correctly, to use the tray, to lick, etc. The kitten feels the care of the mother, if you take it away too soon, it can experience extreme stress. When the animal grows up, this stress will lead to disturbances in behavior.
The Ocicat, of course, requires special attention, but keeping it is not so difficult. Raise such a kitten as you need a representative of any other breed - you need attention, affection and discipline. The pet needs a house or a couch, installed in a cozy and quiet corner of the house. The cat should be comfortable in its “crib”, from there the whole apartment or most of it should be visible. You will also need a scratching post (you can buy separately or built into the house).
The oocytes are very clean, so instead of one tray, two may be required (the second is a spare, clean). A cat can disdain a tray if the filler in it has already wetted at least once. With this in mind, you can purchase a special filler for super-clean animals. As for furniture and wallpaper, the spotted pet will not spoil them, because in the house there are already quite a lot of different entertainments (for example, a hamster or a children's toy).
ocytes - very clean animals
When my cat was still a kitten, she needed 2 trays. The fact is that it just refers to such "super cleaners." If at least one pebble of the filler was raw (even if it had already dried), then it did not go into the pot. Of course, she was in no hurry to do her business right next to the tray, but endured and mewed until at least a blank newspaper was laid next to her. Now she is calmer (she just learned to drag napkins, pieces of paper and other waste paper into the tray to put it under her feet). But on the balcony we still have a second tray.
Spotted cat food
Breeders of purebred cats are divided into those who prefer premium-class prepared foods as food for cats, and those who choose natural food. In fact, it all depends on the material abilities of the owner of the animal and the preferences of the pet. If during the life in the kennel the cat was already accustomed to one type of food, then it will be difficult to accustom it to another.
In the first month, the Oceticist eats cat's milk, but around the fourth week, you can start feeding the baby with meat. This should be raw, thoroughly frozen and finely chopped meat. Later, in the kid’s menu, you can gradually enter the egg-milk mixture, boiled offal, semolina, etc. As soon as the kitten enters the house of the new owner, the responsibility for his food falls entirely on the shoulders of the new owners.
the owner of the ocicat must choose the method of feeding the animal
The amount and composition of food
The basis of nutrition of the ocicat should be meat. Contrary to popular belief, keeping a balanced diet and feeding a cat is not so difficult. Meat can be prepared portionwise, frozen and thawed as needed. The pieces thawed and doused with boiling water are mixed with other products (vegetables or cereals). In general, the diet of an ocicat should be composed of the following products:
- chicken, turkey and offal (neck, wings, backs),
- beef liver (only in small quantities),
- fish (only sea and boiled),
- dairy products (low-fat cheese, fermented baked milk, sour cream, kefir, cottage cheese, sugar-free yogurt, etc.),
- vegetables, fruits and greens (cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, spinach, etc.),
A proper diet is a balanced diet containing proteins, fats, carbohydrates and trace elements in the correct proportions. It is extremely important for the Ocicites to get everything they need for healthy bone growth and development, so they are given fish. Building a menu only from fish is not possible, since this can disrupt the metabolism, therefore, fish are given, for example, 1 time per week. Fresh milk is given only to kittens, and in adult ocicots, milk can cause indigestion, but calcium must be obtained, so you can give acid products. Vegetables can be given raw or fresh, but cats do not particularly like plant foods, so it is convenient to add a vegetable mixture to meat. So the cat will even eat cabbage, but "at the same time" with meat.
When I buy meat, I cut a piece of pulp in advance and cut it separately. I cut into small pieces 1x1 cm (approximately). I spread this meat in jars (from processed cheese) and freeze it. In the same way I harvest fish (salmon, trout or salmon). I defrost meat every day in 1 jar (about 2 tablespoons fit in 1 container), and I give fish only 1 time per week. There is one “but” - my cat eats not just thawed meat, she needs the meat to be warm, so after defrosting I have to heat it in the microwave.
Ocicat nutrition should be enriched with calcium and vitamins.
Vitamins and other supplements can be added to food, but be sure to consult your veterinarian before choosing them. Improperly selected vitamins can only do harm. In addition to pharmacy supplements, spotted cat can be given specially germinated grass. It is rich in vitamins and improves digestion, as it contains a lot of fiber.
There are a number of products that cannot be given to Ocicots:
- River fish,
- sweets (especially honey and jam),
- everything is fried, salted, smoked, spicy,
- from fruits and vegetables: beets and all citrus fruits,
- from cereals: wheat, corn, legumes.
My cat loves exactly what is impossible most of all: corn, ice cream, condensed milk, tangerines and pasta in a navy manner. Of course, as a loving “man-mother” I cannot refuse my darling. As a treat, I can treat her with a quarter of milk candy or a pair of corn kernels. She understands that she cannot and does not insist on certain products, but she looks at me very carefully and reproachfully as if I were a tyrant. It is difficult to resist such a "pressure".
proper nutrition is the guarantee of your health
In addition to compiling the menu, you need to take care of the serving size. Overeating cats can not be, so you need to determine in advance how much food should receive an ocicat. An adult cat can receive 40 grams of natural food per 1 kilogram of weight, but the daily volume cannot exceed 250 grams. Finished feed has a high energy value, so their calculation is different. The daily dose of finished food should be 15–20 grams per 1 kilogram of adult cat’s weight (usually 150–170 grams of feed per day). Kittens from the age of 3 months receive up to 240 grams of food, from 6 months - up to 250 grams, and from 9 to 12 months - up to 200 grams.
How many times a day to feed an ocicet
The number of feeds depends on the age of the animal. The daily diet of kittens should be divided into 4–5 feedings. As soon as the kitten reaches six months of age, the number of feedings needs to be reduced. Adult cats are fed 2 or 3 times a day, usually breakfast and dinner. However, one cannot restrict the owner of the oocyte to strict rules, because each cat is special, which means that you can draw up a diet and determine how many times to feed a pet based on a specific cat.
Adult Ocicatus can be fed 2 times a day (morning and evening)
Spotted Cat Care
Caring for the appearance of an ocicat differs little from the same process in relation to other cats. The owner needs to stock up on the necessary tools and means:
- claw cutter
- cotton buds and petroleum jelly (or other oil),
- special toothpaste and a small toothbrush (a child’s one too)
- cotton pads,
- rubber massage mitt or brush with natural bristles,
- shampoo and conditioner for cats,
Claws need to be trimmed 1-2 times a month. Cut off only the transparent tip of the claw (1-2 mm, not more). If you have not calculated your strength and cut off too much, then the claw section will bleed. Such a wound should be wiped with a cotton swab dipped in brilliant green. Once a week, you need to inspect the ears of the pet. If dirt or sulfur has accumulated in them, then all the excess should be carefully removed with a cotton swab. Too deep cleaning is not necessary, as it can harm the cat. It is recommended to clean the teeth of the ocicat daily, as plaque forms on the teeth, which can turn into tartar, and treating cat's teeth is very difficult.
Ocicots have very sharp claws that require regular cutting
Every day you need to examine the cat's eyes. If dirt has accumulated in the inner corner of the eye, it must be removed with a cotton pad or a piece of gauze soaked in distilled water or warm chamomile infusion. In cases where there is too much discharge from the eyes, you need to consult a veterinarian (conjunctivitis can be treated only with special drops or ointments).
How to comb out and bathe an ocicle
Ocicots have no undercoat, so it does not fade. However, you still need to comb out the extra hairs. In addition, combing out is also a massage that improves blood flow and distributes natural fat over the surface of shiny hairs. For combing, you can use a massage mitt or a brush. This procedure can be done once a week. If it seems to you that the animal’s hair is not shiny enough, then it can be wiped with a suede cloth.
It is generally accepted that an allergy to cats is nothing more than an allergic reaction to animal hair. Therefore, people prone to allergies usually choose cats without undercoat as pets. However, allergies can be caused not only by the falling hair of the undercoat, but also saliva and animal pheromones.
Ocicat wool is single (they do not have undercoat)
They bathe ozikets as necessary (for example, if he got dirty), but usually they do this no more than 2-3 times a year. For water procedures, you can use only special shampoos for cats. Funds intended for humans cannot be used when bathing cats. Cats can resist swimming, but you can perform this procedure by following a simple instruction:
- fill the basin or bathroom with warm water (38–39 degrees) at a level of about 10 cm from the bottom,
- put a small towel or a special rubber mat on the bottom of the container,
- put the pet with its hind legs in the water (with the front legs it can hold on to you or the edge of the bath, while you need to talk to him gently),
- watering the back of the animal with a watering can and wetting the head with a palm,
- shampoo should be applied around the withers (it is important that the product does not get into the ears or face),
- you can also wash off the shampoo with a watering can,
- pull the pet out of the water and wrap it in a towel,
- if necessary, you can dry the hair of the animal with a hairdryer.
If you accustom the ocicet to water from childhood, then over time it will get used to and will not protest.
Is it necessary to walk an ocicat
Ocicots are very fond of walking and traveling (they also need to learn and see everything in the world). For this reason, spotted cats can easily tolerate long roads. However, there will be no sense in traveling if you lock the cat in a small and uncomfortable carrying. Therefore, if you are traveling in a train, the carrying should be as spacious as possible. If the cat is traveling with you in the car, then carrying is optional. You can organize a convenient place with a view from the window. The Ocicat will not be naughty and rush around the cabin, since he will be busy almost all the time looking at the pictures flickering outside the window.
Some cats themselves choose a place in the car. For example, my sister’s cat Donut likes to sit in the passenger seat behind the driver. Moreover, he sits precisely on the child restraint. Perhaps the animal is simply more comfortable sitting on a hill.
You can only walk on a leash
If the animal wants to use the toilet, it will let you know about it. No, the cat will not scream heart-rendingly or impatiently scratch the driver's shoulders. Okotsits differ from many cats in that they try to make eye-to-eye contact during any communication with a person. So your pet will look into your eyes and carefully ask him to withdraw. You will understand that the cat needs your help.
Take a harness with a leash with you on the road or just for a walk. Ocicat easily gets used to these things and walks with pleasure. You can walk such a cat at least every day, but you need to remember a few rules:
- walking area should be away from the road (to avoid accidents),
- the cat should be able to run on the grass (in the warm season),
- it is necessary to limit the cat’s ability to communicate with dogs or other cats (it is traumatic, in addition, other animals can be infectious),
- no need to unfasten the leash before coming home (a cat can climb a tree or run away),
- it is impossible for a cat to eat what it finds on the street,
- if you see any danger (a passing car, an approaching dog, or too noisy children), take the oocyte in your hands.
In the summer I walk my cat on a short leash. When there are no dogs nearby, I let her on the grass, and she herself finds what grasshopper to hunt for. The rest of the time she "rides" in my arms. If she sees a crowd of noisy children, then she climbs right on my clothes and fits on her shoulders in a collar position. And in the winter she walks on the balcony, there are many places, and fresh air enters, and is safe.
walking an ocicat is an important point in his upbringing
Ocicat is my dream, but it’s expensive and scary to let one walk in the house. This refers to how our cats roam. And locked up to hold such a predatory beauty - sorry for her.
Goth, newbie forum
If your lifestyle involves frequent outings, business trips or moving, train your smart cat to walks from childhood. In the future, he will follow you and enjoy it.
Ocicat breed defects
Any cat, whether it be a thoroughbred animal or a purebred, domestic cat, can be born with defects. These include a tendency to disease, and congenital malformations. And if the cat is a thoroughbred, then any deviation from the standard of this breed can be considered a vice. Alas, the oocytes are no exception.
Ocicots may have malformations and appearance defects
Addiction to disease
Representatives of the Ocicat breed have one genetic predisposition - weak chest bones. Such heredity can be expressed in various deformations of these bones. Both prevention and treatment of an already manifested disease is proper nutrition. To make bones stronger, there should be a lot of calcium in the diet. When compiling the menu, you should have taken this into account. However, if your cat became ill, then calcium was still not enough. In this case, you can consult a veterinarian (it can help with the selection of vitamin supplements).
The rest of the oocytes are similar to other cats:
- if you do not brush your teeth, oral diseases can occur,
- lack of hygiene of the ears or eyes leads to various inflammatory processes,
- if the cat is in a draft, it can catch a cold,
- ignoring the need for vaccination leads to serious illness, etc.
In any case, if you notice that the cat is behaving strangely or looks (sneezes, constantly sleeps, vilifies, etc.), then you should immediately contact your veterinarian. Only a professional can prescribe the right treatment.
In order not to panic at the moment of troubles with the cat, you need to keep the card of the veterinary clinic in a prominent place. I store the number of the veterinarian in the phone’s memory and in the refrigerator (held by a magnet). Even if I am not at home, my relatives will be able to quickly find the number and call.
if an oocyte has a symptom of a disease, it must be urgently shown to a veterinarian
Are there any defects that prevent us from participating in exhibitions?
Any signs that do not meet the breed standard can interfere with your pet's show career. Ocicots may have the following defects:
- point color
- Blue eyes,
- white medallion or spots on unauthorized areas,
- bent or in any other way deformed tail,
- wrong number of fingers
- long or fluffy hair,
- red or cream color.
However, if your pet is designed to become a friend of the family, and not a candidate for the title or cup, then all these defects do not matter. After all, such external flaws can not affect the nature of the cat.
wrong ocicet color (not according to the standard) is a reason for disqualification
Ocicat females are very good mothers. They carry their offspring on their own, and childbirth proceeds easily and without complications. Cats treat their cubs with trepidation and patience. But Ocicats cannot be crossed with cats of other breeds. It is also undesirable to cross Ocicati with mestizos (for example, Ocicat + Siam). Due to the rarity of the breed, a cat and a cat can be at a great distance from each other, possibly even in different countries. The most difficult part in breeding this breed is to find a worthy and suitable partner. But in any case, you need to follow the basic rules of binding:
- One of the partners should already be unleashed, as an inexperienced pet may be confused.
- Both partners should be vaccinated, healthy and proglistogonen 2 weeks before mating.
- Before a mating cat, you don’t have to wash it, because it can only smell it, attracting a cat.
- Both animals need to cut their claws, because mating games are sometimes quite aggressive and cruel and animals can injure each other.
- A cat is always brought to a cat, and not vice versa. When a cat feels like a master on its territory, it is calm and does not waste time examining an unfamiliar environment.
- The cat is brought in for heat on day 2-3 and left with the cat for 3-5 days.
in order for your cat to have beautiful kittens with good breed features, you must follow the rules of breeding
How to choose a partner
There are several criteria by which you need to look for a partner:
- the candidate must be purebred,
- the owner of the intended partner must be in good faith,
- colors of partners must match (or be as similar as possible),
- future partner must be absolutely healthy,
- It should be possible to familiarize yourself with the documents of your cat’s future partner.
Since the strictest requirement for a partner is his thoroughbredness, the owner of the candidate must confirm the "noble" blood of his cat. Messages are sometimes posted on the forums for showers expressing distrust of any of the breeders. There is reason for such suspicion. Firstly, the pedigree can be fake (there are few purebred Ocicats in Russia, each of them is popular). And secondly, the pedigree alone cannot serve as a guarantee of pure blood of the desired kittens. For these reasons, you need to make sure that the parents of the future partner are equally purebred. In the world of breeders, it’s normal to know the parents and even grandparents of your cats.
when choosing a partner for a cat of the Ocicat breed, you should not rush
An experienced, professional breeder can be a member of a breed club (this is desirable), a professional must have an appropriate document about this. The breeder or owner of the cattery, from whom you will find the right cat, will tell you about which cat (in color) is best to knit your cat. If in the cattery you like there is no cat with suitable external data, then further things can happen as follows:
- the breeder will offer you another cat, but with the condition of mandatory early castration of the offspring (an agreement may be drawn up about this),
- the breeder will tell you where there is a suitable candidate (all breeders are familiar with or heard about each other's nurseries),
- the owner of the cattery will start to persuade you that you can mate your cat with any ocicat or male of a different breed.
In the first two scenarios, you have to decide whether to agree to the proposed conditions or not. But in the second case, you need to be careful and prudent. If you just need domestic kittens from your beloved cat, then mating with an ocicat of the wrong color (or mestizo) is possible, but they are unlikely to be able to take part in breeding or exhibition work. But if the breeder offers you a cat of a different breed, then you can safely turn around and leave - in front of you is a simple divorcee.
At what age to give an ocet for the first knit
it is not recommended to give a cat for mating at the first estrus
The first spotted cat estrus can happen between the ages of 6 and 8 months. In principle, estrus already says that the cat is ready for breeding. However, puberty is often ahead of physiological maturation - the cat is still a kitten, and her body has not grown to the end. If you tie a cat at such an early age, then the animal may simply not be able to endure its cubs. For this reason, owners of Ocicats wait until the pet is at least 1 year old.
A cat can be knitted as early as 8 months, but in this case, an experienced female should become his partner, who will not be shy and will teach everything to a young male. It is believed that after a year of cats can be knitted at any age (at least until old age).
How often can I give birth to an Ocicat cat
It's no secret that cats can give birth 3-4 times a year, but often a giving birth cat can tire and become sick. If the cat does not have time to rest between the births, the body of the woman in labor is exhausted, the cat can lose weight and weaken. A weak cat will not be able to bear strong and healthy kittens (the problem is aggravated if the cat is already "aged"). Breeders who value their males do not allow a cat to give birth more than 2 times a year (sometimes not more than 3 times in 2 years).
oocytes cats can mate more often than cats
Males can produce no more than 25 litters per year. Moreover, between mating should be at least 7 days. However, there are not so many Ocicats, so it’s rather difficult to provide a cat with 4–5 mating per month.
Breed clubs can adjust the breaks between mating and childbirth of their cats. It all depends on the breeder’s ability to adopt offspring, and on the physical condition of cats, and on the age of the producers.
Castration and sterilization of ozikets
Some owners of purebred cats who do not have experience in raising pets are afraid to even think about castration. There is an opinion that if the cat is neutered, it will certainly grow amorphous and thick, and his favorite pastime will be “lounging” the sides on the master sofa. However, further does not have to proceed in such a scenario. Cats become lazy and weak-willed due to the fact that overweight does not allow them to be as active as before. And excess weight appears due to malnutrition or metabolic disorders. Balanced nutrition of the cat is the owner’s area of responsibility, and metabolic disorders can be detected in advance if you are not too lazy to visit the veterinarian.
castration is a civilized way to solve the problem with unrealized cat instincts
Cats are sometimes not sterilized for the reason that they supposedly should experience the joy of motherhood, otherwise the meaning of life will be lost. This is also not so. Castration and sterilization is an operation to remove the genital glands or organs, which allows you to protect your beloved pet from unnecessary suffering. If the cat should not give birth, then it is strongly recommended to sterilize. If the animal for a long time will experience the natural need for mating, but will not satisfy it, then sooner or later such abstinence will spill over into the disease of the reproductive system.
Now there is no problem in finding a good veterinary clinic that will quickly and painlessly conduct such an operation. Several variants of anesthesia are practiced (including complete anesthesia), so the cat will not even feel anything. Intervention lasts about 20 minutes and is inexpensive (from 500 to 2000 rubles).
At what age is it recommended to have surgery
In general, castration / sterilization of an animal is usually carried out after puberty (7–8 months), although there are no strict prohibitions on early sterilization. But if the operation is done too early (for example, at 7 months), then the cat may stop growing. However, at present, more and more veterinary clinics are taking care of sterilization at an early age.
Otsikets are most often sterilized in childhood, as representatives of rare cats can either give birth to beautiful, purebred offspring, or not. In the second case, breeders usually do not wait for buyers and operate the kitten immediately.
In some cases, the cost of a kitten may be a little overpriced due to the fact that the owner of the cattery put in the price of the cat the amount paid for the operation. However, this fact should please those buyers who need a kitten not for breeding. And if you want to have one more, but at the age of a small kitten, then you can buy it separately. In addition, pregnancy, birth of a cat and “raising” of offspring can be more expensive than buying an already born, healthy and vaccinated baby.
I sterilize my cats from the age of 1 to 1.5 years. It is difficult to understand up to a year whether a cat started estrus or not. In addition, outwardly, the female often resembles a teenager than an adult. In general, I try to consult with a veterinarian. Sometimes the veterinarian sees whether it is necessary to hurry up or whether the operation can be postponed for a month for medical (or some other) indications.
Comparison table: pros and cons of Ocicat
|Characteristic||Breed advantages||Cons of breed|
|Appearance||Ocicots are similar to ocelots in their color and body shape, suitable for those who love domestic cats with the appearance of a representative of wild fauna||color disorders are often found, due to which the cat's show career is doomed|
|Character||funny, playful, talkative and cheerful cats that can find a common language not only with adults and children, but also with other pets||persistent, stubborn and a little tricky (they can pretend that they don’t respond to their nickname)|
|Human affection||behave like dogs (faithful and loyal to one person)||they themselves choose the owner, but also do not ignore other family members|
|Learning ability||can remember and execute commands, quickly learn to open doors and boxes||they can be tricky if they don’t want to study or play at a specific moment|
|Content||unpretentious in food and care, practically do not fade, do not require much, clean||can disdain a stale tray, it is recommended to walk more often and brush your teeth daily|
|Health||good health, strong immunity||there is a genetic predisposition to diseases of the skeletal system (chest bones suffer)|
|Breeding||cats give birth on their own, childbirth passes without complications||it’s hard to find a good partner, because the breed is small and there are many scammers|
What Ocicat owners say about their pets
Those people who are trying to train their ocquets share their success in various forums on the Internet. Many post hundreds of photos with their pets in the lead roles. Some are simply touched by the unusual behavior of the ocquet.
Ocicat owners are happy to share the achievements of their pets
Our Archie has completely doglike habits. He licks my nose when I come home and greet him, and in general, in the expression of feelings, he quite often likes to lick somewhere in the face area. And he sniffs all the strangers.
teufelitto, forum visitor
Cattle breeders without experience raising pets cannot boast of achievements in training.
Sleeps during the day, goes crazy at night, rushes about the apartment, turns everything upside down, in general, horror. I was told that after a year the cat will calm down.
Pesikot, forum user
And there are those who, being a breeder himself, share the most valuable experience in maintaining Ocicatus.
In families where cats are inadequate and inappropriately noisy, they definitely lack attention. You can just talk to the Ocicats, pay a little attention to them - stroke, throw a toy along the way, give a treat and say something sweet, turn on the beast in the end. They love shows about insects and birds. Satisfied with life, the ociquette does not create problems, but only gives affection and positive to the whole family.
OxanaOci, forum user, breeder
Ocicat (Ocicat) are short-haired domestic cats that look like ocelots. The breed was bred in America, although the ancestors of animals are Asian cats. The oocytes are intelligent and talkative, they themselves choose their owner and remain faithful to him until the end of life. Spotted cats easily find a common language with any family member, guests or other animals, but they express their sincere love only to their person. Such pets are unpretentious in care, but there is a risk of a number of diseases that may arise due to improper maintenance of the pet.