1. Dragonflies are considered the oldest insects.
Dragonflies are endowed with a slender elongated body.
2. The first dragonflies appeared approximately 350 million years ago. The remains of dragonflies have been found since the Jurassic period. The oldest dragonflies were gigantic in size. The wing span of the oldest dragonfly reached 90 centimeters.
3. According to scientists, dragonfly was the first insect that could conquer airspace.
4. Today, about 150 species and varieties of this small predator are found in the tropics and humid subtropical zones.
5. From English, dragonfly translates as "flying dragon."
Dragonfly Blue Emperor
6. The view with the name “Blue Emperor” is the largest species of dragonflies.
7. Dragonflies - fast and very agile. These are leaders in speed among insects.
8. Among insects, dragonflies are considered the fastest flying. The usual speed of their movement is 30 km / h, but in case of urgent need they can develop speeds of 57 km / h and more.
9. Dragonflies are famous not only for their speed, but for the universal aerobatic technique. Thanks to streamlined shapes and the possibility of using each of the four wings individually, they can instantly change not only speed, but also the direction of flight.
10. Researchers distribute dragonflies in 3 suborders.
11. Dragonflies, which fold their wings under the abdomen, while in a static state, are called equal-winged.
12. Dragonflies begin to hunt as soon as it begins to get light, and at dusk they seek refuge in the vegetation. In this state, without unnecessary movements on the leaves, dragonflies sleep all night.
13. Dragonflies have a limited sense of smell, which allows you to feel only certain odors.
14. The design of dragonflies is large, consisting of facets, eyes. Each of them contains 30 thousand facets - this is a kind of record for the world of insects - for example, the eye of a fly contains “only” 6 thousand elements.
15. Facets have a specialization - the lower ones can distinguish only colors, while the upper ones determine the shape. With their help, dragonflies are confidently oriented in the surrounding space.
16. Dragonflies, with wings perpendicular to their body, are called diverse.
17. Dragonflies are useful and the most voracious predators that can eat about 40-50 pieces of harmful insects per day, among which flies and mosquitoes are in priority.
18. Dragonfly is a predator that guards its territory. Each individual has its own territory on which all prey belongs to it. In the case of penetration of relatives, she is forced to fight for her.
19. Dragonflies are trying to calculate the distance for the object of hunting.
20. These insects are able to move the wings in any sequence and alternately.
Dragonfly Species Epiophlebia
21. Two subspecies, pleasing with their graceful flights of the inhabitants of Hindustan and Japan, are united by the suborder Epiophlebia.
22. Dragonflies do not have hearing, but they are able to distinguish sound vibrations with the help of their antennae - antennae and at the base of the wings.
23. Dragonflies are only so slim and elegant in appearance, but they can cope with prey that exceeds them in size. Dragonfly hunting performance reaches 95%.
24. About 30 times the dragonfly flaps its wings during the flight.
25. A science called odonatology deals with the study of dragonflies.
Dragonfly Spider Hunt
26. Dragonflies can capture a spider from its own prey network.
27. The belly of this insect consists of 11 segments.
28. As a rule, female dragonflies are larger than males. There are few exceptions, including the largest dragonfly Megaloprepus caerulatus with an abdomen length of up to 100 millimeters and a wingspan of 190 millimeters.
29. Their males are equipped with a unique secondary copulative apparatus. It is to them that the male removes from the female the seed of her predecessor remaining in her, and after that she fertilizes her with her seed.
30. Dragonfly females lay 1 egg every 5 seconds.
Dragonfly Hunt for a Fly
31. Continuously capturing flies on the fly, dragonflies eat about 40 of them per day.
32. Dragonfly - a hunter who always rushes to prey from below in the air and even directly on the fly.
33. Dragonflies have a quick grip, which with the help of the lower lip gives her the opportunity to grab and fix prey on the fly. It can be quite difficult to break out of these hugs, as there are special claws at the end of the upper lip, which it sticks deep into the body of the prey. These claws can gnaw even the strongest shells.
34. In 2002, a film was made about dragonfly.
35. Dragonflies are eaten in Bali along with coconut milk.
36. Dragonfly larvae that live in the aquatic environment are actively used by anglers for bait.
37. Dragonfly larva can live from 1 to 5 years in water.
38. When the pond dries, the larvae of some species of dragonflies can breathe air.
39. For dragonflies, there is neither the law of air resistance, nor the law of gravity. Dragonfly can be called a master of aerobatics.
40. It was the flight of the dragonfly that became the clue when creating jet aircraft.
41. Adult dragonflies live only on land.
42. The life age of dragonflies is usually short-lived. Their habitat and the size of the dragonfly affect their life. Most of them live only 1-3 weeks, larger ones exist from six months to one year. 44. The largest specimens in the wild can survive up to 7 years.
43. Dragonfly is able to rotate its own head around an axis.
44. Dragonfly is considered the most perfect predator in world space.
45. Dragonflies are a distributor of poultry disease called prostomoniasis.
46. The mating process itself is long in dragonflies, since the male secrets the capsule in which the sperm are located and carries it with him until he finds a female.
47. Since the mating process occurs in the air, during this period very often insects fly linked together.
48. A large dragonfly can bite a person.
49. Even small dragonflies have been hunting since childhood.
50. Eating a lot of harmful insects, dragonflies benefit a person.
- Of all the predators on Earth, they are perhaps the most effective. Dragonflies feed on other small insects, and about 95% of all their attacks end successfully.
- In total, there are more than 6650 species of these insects in the world. Moreover, more than 20 new species are discovered every year.
- Dragonflies are found everywhere, on most islands and all continents, except Antarctica (interesting facts about Antarctica).
- Dragonfly larvae live in water. They turn into flyers only when they pass into an adult form and get out to land, simultaneously growing wings.
- The jaws of dragonflies are incredibly sharp, they literally break prey with their help. But they can not bite a person, with the exception of some very large species.
- These amazing insects always have 4 wings, and each of them can move independently of the rest.
- Dragonflies are also unique in that they can fly forward and backward, and even sideways. Just like real helicopters.
- The first place over the distances covered during migration among all insects is occupied by a dragonfly called a red stroller. Sometimes it flies to a distance of more than 6500 kilometers, which is more than the distance covered by many migratory birds (interesting facts about migratory birds).
- The eyes of a dragonfly are made up of nearly 30,000 elements. They provide her with an overview of almost 360 degrees.
- Dragonflies see the world in completely different colors than humans or most animals.
- The larvae of most species of dragonflies live in water for up to 2 years before getting out to land.
- If there is not enough food in the pond, dragonfly larvae quickly become cannibals, eating each other.
- In the process of transformation of the larva into an imago, and the imago into a dragonfly, this insect sheds up to 17 times.
- Dragonflies are among the few insects whose larvae can successfully survive not only in fresh, but also in salt water.
- In 2009, Britain launched the world's first dragonfly reserve.
- Having caught prey, the dragonfly usually instantly eats it right on the fly.
- These insects benefit by actively reducing the number of mosquitoes.
- Dragonflies spend their whole lives in the air, in flight. They rarely sit down.
- The female dragonfly lays eggs on the leaves of aquatic plants. After hatching, the larvae fall into the water.
- Some species of dragonflies live in this phase for only 3-4 weeks.
- In Japan, a dragonfly is a symbol of courage and fearlessness (interesting facts about Japan).
- The upper facets of dragonfly eyes see the world in black and white, and the lower ones distinguish colors.
- The unique structure of dragonfly eyes allows them to be clearly fixed on a particular prey, even if it is one midge from a whole flock.
- Dragonflies fly very quickly and rapidly, while doing only about 30 strokes per second. Bees, by comparison, wave their wings 7-8 times faster.
- In addition to the usual colors, the dragonfly also sees in the ultraviolet spectrum.
Briefly describe the insect
Refers to a dragonfly squad. Interesting facts, of course, will be, but a little later. Let's continue. So, this is an arthropod insect with six legs covered with bristles, which it presses against itself during flight. It has an oblong streamlined body, a large head, wings that it does not fold when landing, and a chest. They can be of different colors and even transparent.
They live up to ten months, and some species are only 6 weeks old. Others chew on the cold.
Now let's tell interesting facts about dragonflies
She is very cruel. Kills his victim on the fly instantly. But the most amazing thing is that she calculates the speed and determines the exact location in the near future. Notice that the insect does not fly after it, but calculates the angle of attack. She is able to spot the victim at a distance of 8 meters. Moreover, it moves through the air absolutely silently.
She has an incredibly perfect, sharpest vision. Eyes pierced by thirty thousand faces. For comparison, we give an example with a fly, which also has exceptional vision. But she has only 6 thousand faces. Each of them creates a separate image. And thanks to neuron cells, an integral picture of what is seen is formed in the brain of the insect.
We continue to talk about interesting facts about dragonflies. We humans perceive a certain color spectrum, and she is able to see not only it, but also to distinguish objects in the ultraviolet. She is not afraid of even light polarization. When hovering over water, it is not blinded by water reflections. That allows you to keep a confident course when hunting. Although if it falls under water, it will die, because it will not be able to get out.
Another feature: circular eye movement
Huge faceted eyes can rotate 360˚. Thanks to this, she is able to see everything that happens around her. Therefore, getting to her unnoticed is almost impossible. During the hunt, its monitored spatial canvas is divided into sectors. And the victim is held in one of them, which is why she manages to accurately calculate the attack time. The goal is overtaken in 95% of cases. This is a unique result that is better than that of a shark and a lion.
During the search for the victim, she starts the automatic selection process. Having chosen, he can keep all other objects in the field of his sharp vision, but at the same time he will maneuver between them and will not touch anyone. Moreover, dragonfly is not an easy hunter, she is also very voracious. With its gnawing strong upper jaws, it can swallow about thirty flies within one minute.
In general, they benefit people by eating midges and mosquitoes, as well as other pests. Moreover, spiders from their wicker canvases can grab right on the fly.
Flying also deserves special attention. It can dramatically change direction and suddenly hang in the air. Because the wings are connected to the body using different muscles. The insect has two pairs of wings, which can be different and of the same size. Their range can reach 18 cm. This does not end with interesting facts about dragonflies.
They have no mating season. The male simply selects, again in flight, the female and abruptly attacks her. He takes it by force, clasping its paws, biting in the neck. But she can mate with several males. But there is an interesting fact about dragonflies. Each new owner, before fertilization, pumps out the sperm of the previous male. It does this with the help of special denticles on the genitals. And everything happens in zero gravity.
Outputs up to two hundred eggs in one clutch, which is carried out on the foliage of trees growing above the surface of the water. Just larvae develop in it. Larvae - predators breathing with the help of gills, eat small fish, bloodworms and tadpoles. And they develop extremely long: sometimes up to five years.
There are also interesting facts about dragonflies for children. For example, did you know that this insect is very ancient and has been living on the planet since the time of the dinosaurs. It appeared about 300 million years ago. The dragonfly Meganevra wingspan reached eighty centimeters. They themselves were incredibly huge.
We talk about dragonfly Beauty interesting facts
The second name is Beauty dark-winged. Belongs to the Beauty family. The average body length is about five centimeters, and the wingspan reaches seven. In males, the wings are bluish-blue, and the body is greenish-blue with a metallic tint. In female beauties, the wings are transparent, dotted with brown veins, and a bronze-greenish body. It lives in water bodies with a small current. The flight period starts in July and ends in September. They can be found in Europe, Siberia, Japan, Korea, as well as in China, Mongolia and the Far East. What other stories and interesting facts about the dragonfly squad?
Do you know that:
- Dragonfly can live under water for up to two years, and in the developmental stage up to five or more.
- To find a rainbow color, which she pleases our eyes, she has to molt 17 times.
- With such sharp and accurate vision, she is hearing impaired.
- Can toss your head in any direction.
- Always hungry.
- When killing a victim, an insect lets a trickle of water into it.
- Hunting, thinks with the brain.
- Notices the victim, even against a bright background.
- A large dragonfly can swallow bees.
- It can wait for prey for more than one hour.
- In the world there are about 6650 species.
- It can overcome several thousand kilometers.
- Lays eggs one at a time.
Rockers - dragonflies are the largest. Their body reaches 7 cm, and their wingspan is up to 10 cm. In this case, females can fly several thousand kilometers to lay eggs.
And what is the difference between dragonflies with equal and different wings
Dragonflies are divided into two types by scientists:
All dragonflies have two pairs of wings. But both species look different in the air. Different-winged insects are larger and their flight speed is much higher. Easily overcome distances from 10 to 20 km. Fore wings longer than hind wings, hence the name.
In the case of damselfly, on the contrary, all 4 wings are of the same size, after the flight, which add up to the house. They are not so lightning fast, they hunt for not nimble insects near the area where they live. Here's how many interesting facts are known about them.