Hybrid petunia (Petunia x hybrida), belongs to the Solanaceae family.
Hybrid petunia pubescent with glandular hairs, sticky to the touch. The stalk is creeping or erect, highly branched. Inflorescence leaves, longitudinally ovate and alternate. Petunia is grown due to large flowers and prolonged flowering. The flowers grow from the axils of the leaves, bloom with the development of the shoot. Funnel-shaped flowers, often from half the length of the flower, are divided into five parts. Pollinated by moths, one can often meet the largest moths from the Brazhnikov family. Box fruit with several light seeds. Perennial grown as an annual plant.
There are many varieties of hybrid petunias; new ones are being created. Varieties can be conditionally divided into varieties close to the species: cascading varieties, shoot length was an important problem and ampelous varieties (Supertunia), creating magnificent pillows. You can add a filigree cousin - Calibrachoa hybrida - the name is given in honor of the Mexican professor of botany Antonio de la Cal y Bracho, looks like a miniature petunia with a much better appearance.
- A mixture of colors - densely branched bushes 40 cm high, flowers of various colors with wavy petals,
- Charming waterfall - cascading up to 70 cm tall, large satin flowers, resistant to rain and wind,
- Evening Sensation - 10-20 cm high, fragrant flowers of lilac-blue color, 5-7 cm in diameter, photophilous and drought tolerant variety,
- Blackberry Sophistry - spherical bush, 25 cm high, large flowers of a reddish-blackberry color
- Trilogies - creeping habitus, 20-25 cm high, flowers of saturated shades (white, purple, violet, carmine, red), can be used as a groundcover,
- Sophistry Lyme Bicolor - bush, up to 40 cm high, two-tone flowers: white-purple, yellow-pink or yellow-purple, unpretentious to the ground,
- Sophistry Blackberry and Lime Green - a spherical bush, 25-30 cm high, flowers of red-black and lemon-green color, transfers the transplant in an adult state,
- Mother is a stunted variety, flowers of saturated violet color with a diameter of up to 7 cm, resistant to various diseases,
- Fidelity - undersized variety, fragrant salmon-pink flowers with a diameter of 5-7cm, restores flowering even after a downpour,
- Star rain - a densely branched bush with narrow leaves, 30 cm high, flowers of an unusual star-shaped shape, bright pink and lilac,
- Lagoon - height 35 cm, large flowers of various colors, with a diameter of 15 cm,
- Tango - a compact bush, 25-30 cm high, bright pink flowers with a diameter of 8 cm,
- Isabella - long stems up to 1 m, large flowers of raspberry color (9 cm), resistant to various diseases,
- Pendolino Violet Ice - plant height up to 20 cm, long flowering shoots strewn with 2-3 cm light flowers with a contrasting purple center,
- Fyuseables Lime Coral - lush bush, 30-40 cm tall, large flowers of pink-yellow color,
- Pendolino Rose Eye - an early flowering variety, 20 cm high, pink flowers with a diameter of 2-3 cm, resistance to low and high temperatures,
- Chapel - a compact bush up to 20 cm tall, large flowers, with a diameter of 9-10 cm, with a purple center and a large white border,
- Bengal lights - 25 cm tall branched bush, star-shaped flowers of bright colors,
- Carolina is an erect bush of 15-17 cm, large flowers with a diameter of 12-14 cm, with a white border and a velvety red eye, does not tolerate moist and acidic soils.
Hybrid petunia - a hybrid from the crossing of two wild species of petunia originating from South America. Height, depending on the variety, rarely exceeds 30 centimeters. Flowering timeblooms all summer, to frost. Flower color, white, red, violet, blue, pink, yellow, persistent purple, cream and multi-colored flowers.
A place, the best results are obtained when growing hybrid petunias in sunlit and sheltered places. Some of the varieties cope well with the wind, on unprotected balconies it is better to plant varieties with small flowers or caliber. With a lack of light, blooming can occur much later, it will be scanty.
Remember, pots contain a small amount of land, for abundant flowering you need a large amount of fertilizer. The base should be land for flowers containing fertilizer with a delayed action. Fertilizer will be the base from which the plant will receive nutrition at the beginning and later, if we forget about the subcortex.
There are two basic rules. The first is to prevent the land from drying out. Dried petunia will not fully restore its capabilities, it will be attacked by diseases or pests. During the summer heat, watering twice during the day is not unusual. Watering is done during the day with warm water. Heated earth and leaves should not be sharply cooled.
The second rule is plentiful fertilizer. The most optimal will be the fertilizer at each watering, you need to dilute the fertilizer. To easily remember, it is worth dividing the dose recommended by the manufacturer by the number of days. On the packages the weekly dose is indicated, the division of the dose will be approximate, it is better to adhere to the rule, it is better less often than once, but a lot. In pelargonium fertilizer, iron is in an easily accessible form. Petunias love an acidic substrate. In a small amount of substrate in a pot, water easily reduces acidity. Iron is poorly absorbed in the alkaline substrate and yellowing of leaves begins. Therefore, a large amount of easily digestible iron is important. To create flower compositions with petunia, enter in google request - petunias in container - a lot of photos, interesting compositions.
Petunia can be grown on flower beds. They do not require much care, the supertunia will create large flowering pillows. You can grow any variety. You can use the stand for flower pots in the form of a small tree. If there are more coasters, more wood will come out, coasters are hard to find, but ordering from a locksmith is not a problem. Watering such pots should be automatic or from the top of the stairs.
Primary gender: Petunia
|Difficulty of care|
Of all the existing species, the greatest interest and distribution in the culture was received by Petunia hybrid (garden). It appeared almost a century ago, when for the first time they tried to cross Petunia the axillary (Petunia axillaris) and Petunia violet (Petunia violacea). Both species are no longer cultivated today.
The area of the plants is South America. He was transported to Europe at the beginning of the 19th century.
Hybrid petunia - a grassy evergreen plant whose branching stems are vertical or creeping. In a room, they do not grow above 50–70 cm.
Petunia hybrid blooms all summer and autumn with beautiful funnel-shaped flowers. Their petals are smooth or covered with microscopic hairs, and the edge can be wavy or fringed. Coloring of flowers is various: from dazzling white to saturated lilac or dark blue. There are interesting striped colors. Leaf plates and shoots cover small glandular hairs. Flowers exude a recognizable delicate aroma.
Petunia hybrid has many varieties, which are divided into several categories.
Multiflora petunias (Multiflora) are distinguished by dense and lush flowering. Flowers are medium in size (about 5 cm in diameter) with a smooth edge or fringed. There are specimens with luxurious flowers collected from a variety of terry petals.
Large-flowered Petunias (Grandiflora) have a diameter of 10 cm. However, they do not sit so densely on the shoots. These representatives of the species are more demanding. They love warmth and suffer in bad weather, therefore, more often than petunias, multiflora are grown at home. Flowers with double petals look like roses.
Excellent petunias (Superbissium) are loved for very large flowers. Their diameter can reach 12 cm. Dark sinuous veins are often visible on the petals, which are darker in the center of the flower than along the edges.
Subscribe and receive descriptions of new species and varieties in the "flowering (indoor)" section by mail!
More often, ready-made seedlings of petunias are acquired, satisfactory results are rarely obtained from their own seedlings.
Special substrate for sowing petunia seeds. It must be devoid of pathogens (seedlings sensitive to fungal diseases) and weed seeds.
During seed germination, the temperature is maintained at 20-22 ° C, when the seedlings have sprouted, the temperature decreases to 15-18 ° C. Seedlings with 2-3 leaves dive. Fertilize seedlings every 10 days with highly diluted fertilizers for pelargonium. The process is long, you need sow since mid-Januarywhen there is little light. In greenhouses, there is much more light and many manufacturers highlight seedlings. In spring, hardening of seedlings is required.
In August, you can try to propagate petunia cuttings. It is necessary to use a rooting agent for herbaceous plants, transfer the cuttings to a shaded and cool place for 3-4 weeks so that the roots appear. When the roots appear, the seedlings are moved into separate, small pots; in winter, grown on the windowsill.
Diseases and Pests
New varieties of petunias are becoming more resistant to disease. Theoretically, one can spray with fungicides (Euparen, Kaptan, Ronilan). It is not easy to spray, given the huge mass of leaves. To get to all the foci of the disease is almost impossible.
The most common diseases:
- Mosaic of petunias - manifested dark stems and yellow spots on the leaves. Often found on plants grown from cuttings. At first glance, the plant looks healthy, but quickly undergoes deformation and weakly blooms. When there are no other possibilities, you need to try to get seeds of good varieties. Viruses are not transmitted through seeds.
- Alternariosis - causes the appearance of white spots on the flowers, in the later stages, black stripes on leaf petioles and stems.
- Late blight is a disease that occurs due to an impenetrable soil that requires a lot of water. Symptoms - shoots turn yellow from the base, flabby leaves.
- Chlorosis - is associated with iron deficiency in soils with high pH, from 6.2. Fertilizers with a high iron content are used, the process will be difficult, there is no fertilizer in a small package.
It can be used for hanging baskets, flowerpots, for decorating borders and rabatok. Planted in groups on flower beds. Look great in vertical flower beds and flower beds. Hybrid petunia is suitable for landscape and exterior design, can be grown at home as a houseplant.
This is a garden group combining varieties and hybrids with flexible, long (from 50 to 150 cm), fast-growing shoots. Usually they are distinguished by increased resistance to adverse conditions and plentiful, prolonged flowering, but strong wind or rain often damages thin lashes. They are restored quickly enough, but the decorativeness of plants suffers, and therefore it is recommended to place ampelous petunias in such a way as to protect them from the vagaries of the weather.
Ampel petunias have long drooping shoots
Shoots of ampelous petunias (Petunia pendula), growing in hanging flower pots, as a rule, hang down - such plants are suitable for vertical gardening, growing in balcony boxes, etc. But you can use them for planting in the ground, if you provide them with a sufficient area, which will quickly take the growing lashes, forming an elegant flowering "carpet".
You will find a wide range of ampelous petunias in our catalog, which contains offers of various garden online stores. Choose Ampoule Petunia Seeds.