The first mention of cats similar to javanese (this is also the name of these amazing animals) is found in ancient Siamese manuscripts. The island of Java gave it, without a doubt, its name to unique animals. There are a lot of breeds of cats similar to Javanese. Actually, this is not even a separate, but the so-called "oriental" variety of Siamese. Fierce debate is still ongoing regarding the isolation of this subspecies. In Europe, Javanese have long been considered a separate breed, while in America they are of the opinion that this is nothing more than a subspecies of the Balinese variety of these animals. It is known that Siamese, crossed with short-haired Balinese and oriental cats, became its basis.
The Javanese cat is distinguished by its kind and responsive character, it treats children very well and loves joint walks very much. These graceful flexible animals have a slightly elongated body. Some disproportion of the body gives them a certain zest, especially for hybrids such as the Javanese cat. Photos of these animals only confirm the statement that javanese is an elegant and graceful creature. Their eyes can be both traditional for the Siamese blue, and green. Javanese wool is long and smooth, without any undercoat. Its main feature is a noticeable increase in the length of hairs to the back of the body. The wool reaches its maximum on the tail, giving the cat a unique trait.
Being very active and no less curious, Javanese feel uncomfortable in small city apartments, preferring country estates and private houses to them. A Javanese cat is quite unpretentious in nutrition, the main thing is that its diet is complete and balanced, as improper nutrition can cause the animal to develop vascular and heart diseases. Like other representatives of this animal species, Javanese need regular examinations of their ears, eyes and teeth, not to mention regular combing of their hair. This variety does not require frequent washing, therefore resorting to water procedures should only be in the most extreme cases.
History of the breed
The breed began its history in 1978 in North America and Canada and the following year it was officially registered. Breeders crossed two elite breeds of Siamese and Balinese, also adding a shorthair breed to the admixture colorpoint. The main features of the obtained cats were close to balinesis, but the color changed from other breeds. It was these representatives who became the progenitors of all offspring, which spread widely throughout the world.
The name of the breed was chosen in accordance with the main breed, whose name is associated with Bali. Neighboring Java gave its colorful name to the new elegant cats and cats. The breed gained popularity due to its sophisticated appearance, elegant long neck and almond-shaped slanted eyes.
The breed is exhibition, but due to distribution there are differences between animals of American and European origin. Small nuances are visible only to professionals, for an uninitiated person, the appearance will be all the same beautiful in both cases.
Javanese cat description
Javanese cat belongs to medium-sized breeds. The maximum weight of an adult healthy cat does not exceed 5 kg. Head of medium size, elongated, symmetrical. Narrow in the nose and widens to the ears, forming a cone.
Big ears make the whole cat look especially beautiful. They are widely spaced on the top, pointed. The eyes are almond-shaped, with a slant to the nose. There is no characteristic protrusion or sunken eyes. Typically, the eyes are green or blue.
The long neck flows smoothly into the elongated torso. If the pet is kept with the right care and diet, then the muscles develop well on the body, the stomach does not hang down, and the cat's hips and shoulders are approximately the same width.
Paws are long, graceful, the front is slightly shorter than the rear. The tail is long fluffy. The coat is soft, silky, care-taking, medium length. The undercoat is missing.
The color of the Javanese cat can be various, from ash and black, to red-white and beige. Thanks to the crossing of several breeds, you can choose a pet of your favorite color.
Javanese cat photo
- cute face
- what do you
- saffron milk cap
10 photos of the Javanese cat breed
Click on the small image to enlarge it.
Javanese cat breed character
Javanese cats and cats are loyal to one owner. They choose a friend for themselves and constantly try to be near him. They are stubborn, like to watch everything and require constant attention.
At a young age, kittens of this breed are especially active. They are constantly played, chasing any moving object, climbing trees, shelves, cabinets, curtains. During this period, they must be occupied with something. Even when a pet grows up, leaving it alone can only be done with a toy, otherwise it will begin to play with whatever it finds.
This breed is prone to walking on a leash, some craftsmen can teach their cat how to perform light tricks. Due to its activity, this breed is very loved by children, but there will never be order in the house with them. They are playful, but do not like to be used as toys, so it is better not to let small children in them.
In small apartments, it is not recommended to have such a pet, since it will constantly run around all the furniture. Especially if you take a couple to the apartment. This breed is on friendly terms with its relatives. If a cat is unhappy with something, she will show it with her behavior, sometimes a little aggressive. This happens quite rarely.
The great advantage of this breed is that they do not cause allergies. If a family member has such an ailment, then Javanese cats are the best solution to the problem.
Javanese cat (javanese) was bred in the USA in the 70s of the last century. The breeders had the goal of getting a Balinese cat (balinese) color point. Representatives of the Siamese breed and Balinese took part in the selection. After the kittens with the desired color were born. Oriental cats were also connected to the breeding of a new breed.
As a result of painstaking breeding work, cats with a physique resembling orientals with a hair length like those of Balininiza and color-point color were born.
The Javanese cat breed became independent in 1979. Not all international felinological organizations recognized javanese. But authoritative associations WCF, FIFe., CFA did it.
In the UK, the breed is not recognized. On Foggy Albion, Javanese cats are called cats obtained from crossing an Abyssinian cat of the Sorel color with Siamese color points. The second name of the breed in England is British Angora.
Small javanese: the weight of a cat is from 3 to 5 kilograms, cats - 2.5 -4 kilograms. Outwardly, the representatives of the breed seem fragile, but they are distinguished by a strong physique with well-developed muscles.
The CFA standard sets the following standards:
- The body is medium in size with a strong skeleton, long, slim. The abdomen is tightened, the shoulders and hips are the same width, smoothly continue the lines of the body.
- The head, elongated in medium size, resembles a narrowed wedge. It is proportional to the body. The wedge-shaped form expands in straight lines from the nose to the ears. The tip of the chin is in line with the tip of the nose.
- Ears are located on the sides of the head, continuing the line of the wedge. They are large, wide at the base, pointed in shape.
- The nose is straight and long, wide, without a hollow on the nose.
- The eyes are set slightly obliquely from the nose, medium size, almond-shaped. They look harmoniously on the face, fit into the wedge-shaped outlines of the head. Color is green, olive, golden green. For color point and white color, let's say a blue shade of the iris.
- The limbs are long, thin, the hind legs are longer than the front. Paws are small, rounded.
- The tail is thin, tapering to the tip, covered with fluffy hair like a plume.
Kittens are disqualified from strabismus, yellow eyes, creases and other tail defects.
Care and Nutrition
Cats and cats of the Javanese breed have a life expectancy of up to 15 years. This is an average indicator, there are representatives with a long life. The health of these cats is not strong, thanks to the Siamese ancestors, they were given a tendency to various diseases. These are problems with the intestines, strabismus, asthma, heart disease. The owners of this breed should be prepared for regular, once every 5-7 months, visits to the veterinarian for checks.
External pet care is easy. Often cats cannot be bathed, and the hair is combed once a week if the animal lives in an enclosed space. For cats who like to walk in the fresh air, the process of bathing and combing is carried out as necessary.
Also regularly, once a week, the pet brushes his teeth and, if necessary, ears and eyes. If a constant discharge begins with the eyes, you must consult a veterinarian, this is the first sign of a disease.
Only the upper part of the shell is wiped, it is impossible to climb deeply, since delicate parts of the ear can be damaged. After cleaning, it is recommended to drip with preventive drops, which the veterinarian will advise.
Javanese cat breed photo
For Javanese cats, it is recommended to buy a balanced special food with vitamin B and zinc. If the pet’s nutrition is natural, then the diet is independently replenished with the necessary substances and microelements. It is also worth buying only fresh products, since the gastrointestinal tract is prone to impaired activity.
If the cat lives in a stressful state, then it can quickly develop a neurosis. Therefore, it is impossible to scare, scream or beat a pet. If you experience unusual behavior in a cat, increased drowsiness and decreased activity, you should immediately consult a doctor. This breed is not prone to self-healing, and if the cat does not receive proper treatment and care in time, it can die.
Despite minor problems with activity and some health issues, Javanese cats are very cute and playful creatures. They will bring a lot of joy and laughter to the house. Excellent and loyal friends who will always be near, and warm with their warmth.
Wool and color
Javanese have a thin, soft, silky coat. The undercoat is practically absent. The fur fits snugly on the body, glistens and glares beautifully in bright light. The coat is longer in the abdomen, on the tail, collar zone.
Depending on the standard, the types of colors are acceptable:
- Any characteristic of cats of oriental breeds: color-point, link-point and party-color, cake-point (WCF, FIFe).
- Cream, red, tortie, tabby point (CFA, CFF, ACFA).
The presence of agouti tabby marks is a defect leading to suspension from breeding.
Description and breed standard
Characterization and description of the American type Javanian kosh breed is given by the CFF system:
- Head. A narrow wedge, small in size, is proportional to the body. In profile - a strict straight plane from the forehead to the nose, without deflections and bulges.
- Neck. Long, thin and graceful, but muscular, well developed.
- Eyes. Medium size, almond-shaped, the incision is eastern. Location is ok. Color - bright blue for white colors, green for everyone else.
- The ears. Large, broad at the base, tapering to the tips. Continue the wedge of the head.
- Nose. Long and narrow, absolutely straight.
- Body. Medium in size, long and thin, rather lean with well-developed muscles. The shoulders and hips are the same width. Abdomen tightened.
- Paws Long, slender, muscular. The rear is slightly higher than the front.
- Tail. Long, thin, flexible, strongly tapering towards the end, evenly pubescent as a “plume”.
- Wool. Medium length, thin hair, no undercoat. The tail is the most hairy.
- Colors. Any.
- Weight. Elegant animals of medium size from three to five kilograms.
- Spots and stripes in all colors except tabby and cake
- Tail breaks
- Strabismus, other eye defects
- Amber eye color.
Variety of colors
If a Balinese cat has only a color-point color in various color modifications, Javanese is famous for a wide variety of colors:
- Red - bright red evenly. The nose and pads are bright pink.
- Purple or lavender. Solid gray with a pink tint. The nose and paw pads are pink.
- Bleu. Evenly gray with shimmer in blue. The nose and paw pads are gray-pink.
- Cream. Pale red, pastel, nose and paws pale pink.
- Chocolate or Havana. Intense brown evenly throughout the coat, cast in red. The nose and paw pads are pink with a brown tint.
- Ebony is completely black, including the nose and paw pads.
- Faun - evenly pale beige with pink pads and nose.
- Cinnamon - pale brown with a chestnut tint.
- White - snow-white, very pure color, no shimmer in beige or blue. The paw pads and nose are pale pink. The only color is plain with blue eyes.
- Tabby - marbled, brindle, tortie (tortie), ticked, silver.
- Bicolors - party-color (one-color tone with spots), color-point (Siamese), tortie (tortie), smoky (ticked).
Mr.Kot recommends: Features of temperament
Javanese is a pet that should not be purchased if the owners are not able to spend most of their time at home. Absolutely does not tolerate loneliness. Very attached to a person, pathologically jealous and touchy.
With other pets, Javanese, provided that the acquaintance was correct and careful, can get along. But the owner’s attention is the main thing for him. And this pet will not tolerate a subordinate position, he must always lead and in everything.
This cat will be hard on a small area, he loves to run and play. It can make a mess in two counts. He needs a lot of different toys, maybe you should buy a simulator. An ideal place to stay in Javanese is a country house with a walk in the backyard.
But such a difficult temperament is completely balanced by dog devotion and boundless love for man. If you accustom from an early age to harnessing, it will be a pleasure to walk on a leash.
Care and education
Caring for this pet is not at all complicated. Coat - medium length, but without undercoat. It is enough to comb out once a week, this procedure Javanese loves. There is no need for frequent washing; it is enough to bath twice a year.
It is necessary to monitor the cleanliness of teeth, eyes and ears, they should be cleaned once a week.
Javanese are smart creatures. If from an early age they are accustomed to the toilet tray and scratching post, then there are no problems with the content.
After weaning the kittens from their mother, it is better to gradually transfer them to dry ready-made feed of a super-premium class. It is possible to feed with natural products, but it is very difficult in modern conditions and requires additional inclusion of vitamins, macro and trace elements in the diet.
Like many breeds obtained by crossing domestic species, they are prone to a number of chronic diseases:
- Bronchial asthma
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and nervous system.
Due to belonging to the eastern breeds of cats, birth defects are often found - strabismus and tail creases.In order to identify the disease in time and help the pet, it is necessary to monitor the state of the animal’s health and contact the veterinary clinic in a timely manner.
Javanese is a very rare animal in our country. Perhaps it can be found in some Siamese nurseries. The price of a pet kitten (as a pet) is from twenty to forty thousand rubles.
For breeding and exhibitions, it is better to buy a Javanese cat in nurseries of the USA, Canada or Great Britain. In this case, the cost of the animal will be more than one and a half thousand dollars.